MacOS import utility issue

sammarko

Hi all,
I faced so many issues getting MacOS Monterey to work with the standalone open source version , however, i figured some workarounds .. all issues were mostly related to jar files missing from my installation of JRE..

now i am facing couple of issues with import utility
1. i cannot create an import specifications - the import spec table is empty when the page is loaded, and hitting New Worksheet or any other option gives a Java NullPointerException with no much information at all.
2. i managed to use a different windows machine to create the import spec, then load it and execute it back on Mac. The import ran and then generated the following message

can anyone please help ?

Code: Select all

Script Exception:javax.script.ScriptException: org.python.antlr.ParseException: org.python.antlr.ParseException: encoding declaration in Unicode string
	at org.python.jsr223.PyScriptEngine.scriptException(PyScriptEngine.java:226)
	at org.python.jsr223.PyScriptEngine.compileScript(PyScriptEngine.java:93)
	at org.python.jsr223.PyScriptEngine.eval(PyScriptEngine.java:31)
	at java.scripting/javax.script.AbstractScriptEngine.eval(AbstractScriptEngine.java:264)
	at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.scripting.ScriptJob.execute(ScriptJob.java:268)
	at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.integration.core.IntegrationEngine.processIntegrationScript(IntegrationEngine.java:647)
	at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.integration.core.IntegrationEngine.executeWithoutTransform(IntegrationEngine.java:362)
	at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.importutility.integration.ProtegeIntegrationManager.initChunkedImport(ProtegeIntegrationManager.java:296)
	at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.importutility.ui.RunLocalImportActivityComposer$3.onEvent(RunLocalImportActivityComposer.java:351)
	at org.zkoss.zk.ui.event.impl.DesktopEventQueue$AsyncListenerThread.run(DesktopEventQueue.java:218)
Caused by: org.python.antlr.ParseException: encoding declaration in Unicode string
	at org.python.core.ParserFacade.prepBufReader(ParserFacade.java:281)
	at org.python.core.ParserFacade.parseExpressionOrModule(ParserFacade.java:123)
	at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.compile(PythonInterpreter.java:321)
	at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.compile(PythonInterpreter.java:317)
	at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.compile(PythonInterpreter.java:309)
	at org.python.jsr223.PyScriptEngine.compileScript(PyScriptEngine.java:87)
	at java.scripting/javax.script.AbstractScriptEngine.eval(AbstractScriptEngine.java:264)
	at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.scripting.ScriptJob.execute(ScriptJob.java:268)
	at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.integration.core.IntegrationEngine.processIntegrationScript(IntegrationEngine.java:647)
	at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.integration.core.IntegrationEngine.executeWithoutTransform(IntegrationEngine.java:362)
	at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.importutility.integration.ProtegeIntegrationManager.initChunkedImport(ProtegeIntegrationManager.java:296)
	at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.importutility.ui.RunLocalImportActivityComposer$3.onEvent(RunLocalImportActivityComposer.java:351)
	at org.zkoss.zk.ui.event.impl.DesktopEventQueue$AsyncListenerThread.run(DesktopEventQueue.java:218)
org.python.antlr.ParseException: org.python.antlr.ParseException: encoding declaration in Unicode string

at org.python.core.Py.JavaError(Py.java:547)
	at org.python.core.ParserFacade.parseExpressionOrModule(ParserFacade.java:129)
	... 8 more
Caused by: org.python.antlr.ParseException: encoding declaration in Unicode string
	... 12 more
javax.script.ScriptException: org.python.antlr.ParseException: org.python.antlr.ParseException: encoding declaration in Unicode string
Script Exception:javax.script.ScriptException: org.python.antlr.ParseException: org.python.antlr.ParseException: encoding declaration in Unicode string
org.python.antlr.ParseException: org.python.antlr.ParseException: encoding declaration in Unicode string

... 8 more
	... 12 more

Import executed successfully.
JohnM

Can you post your import spec here please?
sammarko

JohnM wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 18:33 Can you post your import spec here please?
Here is the import spec..
it is pretty simple Applications, App Services and App to App Services mapping .. I only added a single row in the import sheet corresponding to the spec..

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><ns2:SpreadsheetImportSpec xmlns="http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/essential/importutility/common" xmlns:ns2="http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/essential/importutility/importspec" import_schema_version="1.0"><ns2:GlobalInstances/><ns2:WorksheetImportSpec firstRow="8" lastRow="8" name="Applications" imported="true"><ns2:WorksheetDescription>myapplications</ns2:WorksheetDescription></ns2:WorksheetImportSpec><ns2:WorksheetImportSpec firstRow="8" lastRow="8" name="Application Services" imported="true"/><ns2:WorksheetImportSpec firstRow="8" lastRow="8" name="App Service 2 Apps" imported="true"/></ns2:SpreadsheetImportSpec>
Last edited by sammarko on 19 Jul 2023, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.
JohnM

Hi,

Your import spec has defined the worksheets to use, but not what needs importing.

It needs to define the mapping to Excel cells and repository classes and slots, see below.
Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 13.58.47.png
There is more info here https://university.enterprise-architect ... cification

If you have Launchpad then you can see the pattern in there, if not just drop the team a request here https://enterprise-architecture.org/contact/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sammarko

thanks for reply
JohnM wrote: 19 Jul 2023, 13:02
If you have Launchpad then you can see the pattern in there,
can you please elaborate where can i actually see the pattern ? I am little confused .. I downloaded .xml files from Launchpad Export view under Support..
after that I edited the .xml file as excel and added a single line..I understood this file is the excel file which will have my data, and not the specification.

What do you refer to as seeing the pattern there ? alternatively if you dont mind sharing the import spec you have highlighted here, that would be great. there are many terms to get my head around here..
Thanks for help
Last edited by sammarko on 20 Jul 2023, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
JohnM

Hi,

When it works it will export an XML file you can open in Excel, however, from what you have provided, it looks like your import spec is the problem. It won't generate any data to export.

There is a pattern for imports where you get the related instances and then map them to the instance that is the focus of the worksheet row.

For example, for an applications worksheet with each application having codebase, delivery model, etc. the first thing your import does is maps the columns that hold the data for codebase, delivery model, etc. to the instances they relate to and derives the value to use in the row from the mapping, it then assigns that value to a variable – think of this as ‘get me the instance of the codebase class that related to the value in Column X for this application’.

You do this for your derived instances and then finally you map those to your application along with simple slot values, such as description.

Your issue is your XML spec doesn’t do any mapping:

This is your spec:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<ns2:SpreadsheetImportSpec xmlns="http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/essential/importutility/common"
    xmlns:ns2="http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/essential/importutility/importspec" import_schema_version="1.0">
    <ns2:GlobalInstances/>
    <ns2:WorksheetImportSpec firstRow="8" lastRow="8" name="Applications" imported="true">
        <ns2:WorksheetDescription>myapplications</ns2:WorksheetDescription>
    </ns2:WorksheetImportSpec>
    <ns2:WorksheetImportSpec firstRow="8" lastRow="8" name="Application Services" imported="true"/>
    <ns2:WorksheetImportSpec firstRow="8" lastRow="8" name="App Service 2 Apps" imported="true"/>
</ns2:SpreadsheetImportSpec>
This is saying you have 2 worksheets, Applications, Application Services and App Service 2 Apps. However, you have no actions to perform against those sheets. In the xml spec, you would expect to see something like the below for applications

<ns2:WorksheetImportSpec firstRow="8" lastRow="200" name="Applications" imported="true">
        <SimpleInstance matchingMode="ByName">
            <VariableName>AppType</VariableName>
            <ClassName>Codebase_Status</ClassName>
            <NameRef>E</NameRef>
            <ExtIDRef>E</ExtIDRef>
        </SimpleInstance>
            <VariableName>LifecycleStatus</VariableName>
            <ClassName>Lifecycle_Status</ClassName>
            <NameRef>F</NameRef>
            <ExtIDRef>F</ExtIDRef>
        </SimpleInstance>
        <DerivedInstance matchingMode="ByName">
            <VariableName>AppPurpose</VariableName>
            <ClassName>Application_Purpose</ClassName>
            <DerivedName>
                <DerivedValueString>Business System Application</DerivedValueString>
            </DerivedName>
            <DerivedExtID>
                <DerivedValueString>Business System Application</DerivedValueString>
            </DerivedExtID>
            <DerivedSimpleSlot>
                <SlotName>enumeration_value</SlotName>
                <DerivedSlotValue>
                    <DerivedValueString>Business Application</DerivedValueString>
                </DerivedSlotValue>
            </DerivedSimpleSlot>
        </DerivedInstance>
            <VariableName>appDeiveryModel</VariableName>
            <ClassName>Application_Delivery_Model</ClassName>
            <NameRef>G</NameRef>
            <ExtIDRef>G</ExtIDRef>
        </SimpleInstance>
        ......and so on
You create these mappings in the import utility, so in the XML it will, for example, look like this:

<VariableName>AppType</VariableName>
            <ClassName>Codebase_Status</ClassName>
            <NameRef>E</NameRef>
            <ExtIDRef>E</ExtIDRef>
        </SimpleInstance>
This says column E in the spreadsheet is a Codebase_Status and is being mapped to the variable AppType. Remember you gather the instance you want to apply to your focus object first, assign those to varibale

then further down you will apply the variable to the instance you are creating:

<SimpleInstance matchingMode="ByID">
            <VariableName>aCompApp</VariableName>
            <ClassName>Composite_Application_Provider</ClassName>
            <NameRef>C</NameRef>
            <ExtIDRef>B</ExtIDRef>
            <SimpleSlot>
                <SlotName>description</SlotName>
                <SlotValueRef>D</SlotValueRef>
            </SimpleSlot>
            <InstanceSlot>
                <SlotName>ap_codebase_status</SlotName>
                <InstanceSlotVar>AppType</InstanceSlotVar>
                <ConditionalRef>E</ConditionalRef>
            </InstanceSlot>
            ....and so on

so AppType is being assigned to the ap_codebase_status slot for the application in the spreadsheet row.

Hopefully, you can see the mapping in the screenshot
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 15.57.50.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raju

Hi Team,

I have similar issue and specs are valid , checking for specific worksheet with simple 3 columns ( "Sites") .

Attached failure log . Please help me to debug ..
JohnM

Can you attach your import spec please? Click download import spec in the Import Utility and attach the XML file
sammarko

@JohnM thank you very much for the elaborate response.
I have indeed been able to resolve the issue of the import spec and now I understand how the process works. I also was able to import my data.
This all worked fine on Windows. However, I am still facing the issue on the post when running the import on Mac. I am using the exact same spec which works fine on Windows.

here is the error once again

I feel there is something still missing on MacOS which I cannot find to resolve.

... 8 more
	... 12 more
javax.script.ScriptException: org.python.antlr.ParseException: org.python.antlr.ParseException: encoding declaration in Unicode string

... 8 more
	... 12 more

JohnM

JohnM

Thanks for the update, I've passed to the support team now.
JohnM

Are you using Test Import, Execute Import or Generate DUP when you get the error?
sammarko

JohnM wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 09:40 Are you using Test Import, Execute Import or Generate DUP when you get the error?
I am using Execute Import
JohnM

Can you use Generate Import file for now?

Save your repository, generate the import file, download the DUP then in Essential use the Essential Update tab to upload the DUP.

Save your repository before you upload in case you have issues.
sammarko

JohnM wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 09:35 Can you use Generate Import file for now?

Save your repository, generate the import file, download the DUP then in Essential use the Essential Update tab to upload the DUP.

Save your repository before you upload in case you have issues.
I used Protege to upload the DUP file generated, then updated. The applications were imported, however, the Application Services were not imported, and the relationship between Applications to Services. Only the Applications were imported.

I am not sure why - the file is identical to what was used to import on the Windows machine.
Can you provide me a sample file maybe to test with ?
JohnM

The support team are taking a look.
privateJin

sammarko wrote: 25 Jul 2023, 11:29 @JohnM thank you very much for the elaborate response.
I have indeed been able to resolve the issue of the import spec and now I understand how the process works. I also was able to import my data.
This all worked fine on Windows. However, I am still facing the issue on the post when running the import on Mac. I am using the exact same spec which works fine on Windows.

here is the error once again

I feel there is something still missing on MacOS which I cannot find to resolve.

... 8 more
	... 12 more

... 8 more
	... 12 more

JohnM

I believe I am facing the same problem with the RHEL9. Any solutions other than using DUP?
neil.walsh

Can you confirm you are using Java 8 and not some later version?