Managing Approval Status for Applications and Technologies

prosenbrier

We are trying to define for the Application Providers and Technology Product a status that reflects the approval status for use of this product within our organisation. Whilst we can use Technology Product Lifecycle Status as a general flag which shows in the viewer as Internal Lifecycle Status it can only have 1 value and I believe it is not advised to change these values from the system defaults.

What we want to be able to do is define in the status information that enables us to reflect how the different parts of our organisation should perceive the application or product from an approval and compliance perspective, e.g.:

Region Status
Global Waiver Required
ASPAC Approved
UK Mandatory
ME Permitted
NA Recommended

Whilst I can see in the data upload spreadsheet the Usage Compliance Level element, I don't see it reflected in the viewer or capture so no sure where in model this is, but it does not enable us to reflect a dimension that relates to a part of our business.

Can you please advice, as we really want to use the tool as a method of managing and publishing our mandated, approved applications and technologies to provide re-use and apply governance.

Thanks
jasonp

The Essential Meta-Model supports the ability to define what we call Standard Specifications. More specifically, for your requirements, Application Provider Standard Specification and Technology Product Standard Specification. These classes can be found under the EA Class -> EA Support -> Standards Management and allow for the specification of the level of approval for a particular use of an Application or Technology Product. In addition, these specifications can be defined at specific, user-definable approval levels (Standard Strength enumeration) and scoped to one or more specific organisations (Group Actors).

The meta-model diagrams below describe the relevant Essential classes and their relationships.
Tech Standards MM Example.png
App Standards MM Example.png

You are correct in your understanding that the Launchpad spreadsheet allows for the capture of standard specifications for Technology Products, but does not currently allow them to be scoped to specific organisations, i.e. it assumes that all specifications apply globally.

However, the Technology Product Editor and Technology Type Editor, available to Essential Cloud users from the Essential Viewer, allows for the scoping of Technology Product Standard Specifications to specific Organisations as shown in the screenshot below.

Tech Prod Editor - Standards Modal.png

At present, neither Launchpad or the Application Editor support the definition of Application Standard Specifications, however, the addition of this capability to the Application Editor is on our Essential Cloud roadmap

Finally, regarding the use of standard specifications in views, the Technology Product Catalogue (as Table) and Technology Product Summary display the approval levels for Technology Products but neither view currently takes organisational scope into consideration. This is something that we are looking to address across a number of views by providing the means to filter views based on Organisations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
closch

However, the Technology Product Editor and Technology Type Editor, available to Essential Cloud users from the Essential Viewer, allows for the scoping of Technology Product Standard Specifications to specific Organisations as shown in the screenshot below.
Hmmm, on our Essential Cloud I don't get the option to set a standard, is this a future version, I believe i've activated 6.8 editors.
jasonp

In your Technology Product Editor, can you confirm that you are not seeing the drop down button highlighted in red below on items in the Technology Features section of the General tab?

Add Tech Prod Standard.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
closch

Ah! Found it, cheers! (wasn't looking there)

Be good to add this on the Application Editor also, it'd be useful to enable ease of maintaining the APM Application Reference Model
Untitled.png