Business Events and Applications

nathanpavitt

Hi

How do I link two applications by a business event in the metamodel?

Kind regards

Nathan
jonathan.carter

Hi Nathan,

The first thing to note is that we associate System Events with Applications, and a System Event is interpreted as a Business Event by systems. e.g. "Customer Contact" could happen via telephone or via email.

So, to link the applications by a Business Event, you need to create a System Event that will be interpreted as the required Business Event.
Then, in the Dynamic Application Architecture of the relevant Application Function Implementation of one (or both) of your Application Provider, you can associate the System Event with the Applications. e.g. the System Event might initiate the function on an Application when it is raised by the other.

Hope this helps - and let me know how you get on.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
nathanpavitt

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for your help, I think I understand what you are saying...

So, inside Dynamic Application Provider Architecture I can model an Application which Raises a System Event then, in order to show this Initiating another Application, I must create a new instance inside Dynamic Application Provider Architecture? i.e. I cannot create one stream of Application-<Raises>-System Event-<Initiates>-Application?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Nathan
jonathan.carter

You're right.

In the Dynamic Application Architecture - which describes what happens when a function is executed - you model those events that initiate things and those events that are raised by the function.

Rather than capture the whole end-to-end flow (one of potentially many in an event-based model), we capture just the immediate things - the events that initiate the function (or the immediate related things) and the events that this function raises.
The end-to-end perspective of what happens when an event is raised, in terms of those things that are initiated and in turn raise other events is produced from what you have captured by a Viewpoint in the Essential Viewer. So this Viewpoint will navigate all the relationships to and from the event to produce the View of that event in terms of the Applications and their functions.

That's the philosophy, to capture this sort of thing in a loosely-coupled way, rather than explicitly model the entire chain of events. This makes the modelling easier to build and manage. Of course, that is not to say that you can't model all the events and how they are raised, and what their being raised initiates in a single Dynamic Architecture but it can quickly become difficult to manage. Rather it's the Viewpoints that build the Views that you need from the loosely-coupled model.

Unfortunately, at the moment, we don't have this Viewpoint in the standard set in Essential Viewer. Sounds like we need to kick off an ECP to work together to produce the Views that you need.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team