Defining links to other reports EAM 3.0.4

melbpar1

Hi, I have created a new report to show the relationships between business objectives and business capabilities.
In the older versions of EAM, the XSL had to explicitly declare the value of the XML, XSL of the next analysis report, PMAs, LABEL, etc.
In 3.0.4, this does not seem to be necessary as only the following code is required:

Code: Select all

<xsl:call-template name="RenderInstanceLink">
				<xsl:with-param name="theSubjectInstance" select="$parentCapability" />
				<xsl:with-param name="theXML" select="$reposXML" />
				<xsl:with-param name="viewScopeTerms" select="$viewScopeTerms" />
			</xsl:call-template>
The report works fine but the link to the next report (Capability Summary) does not. The generated URL http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer/ ... Class50000 does not contain the XSL for the next analysis report.
I tried creating a new set of report menu, report menu group and related report menu items pointing to my new report as the target report. However, it did not work either.
Any help is appreciated
jmk

Hi,
melbpar1 wrote:Hi, I have created a new report to show the relationships between business objectives and business capabilities.
Fine I'll take it if you release it :)
[ .. snipp ...]
The report works fine but the link to the next report (Capability Summary) does not. The generated URL http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer/ ... Class50000 does not contain the XSL for the next analysis report.
I *think* that you have to add the class of interest (here 'Business_Capability') in the "linkClasses" variable, e.g. :

<xsl:variable name="linkClasses" select="(.... whatever already present ...., 'Business_Capability')" />
melbpar1 wrote: I tried creating a new set of report menu, report menu group and related report menu items pointing to my new report as the target report. However, it did not work either.
We already have a report defined in EA_Support for the 'Business Capability' summary page so I don't think a new report is needed.
melbpar1 wrote: Any help is appreciated
Hope it helps.

J.-M.
melbpar1

Thanks for the quick response.
Unfortunately the linkclasses variable is not the problem as I already had this class in the list:

<xsl:variable name="linkClasses" select="('Business_Objective','Business_Capability')" />
Also, the purpose of the report is to show our key business objectives and the supporting sub-capabilities and capabilities as part of our portfolio management analysis. So it is different to the business capability summary report.
Please let me know if you have any other suggestions

Thanks
jmk

melbpar1 wrote:Thanks for the quick response.
Unfortunately the linkclasses variable is not the problem as I already had this class in the list:

<xsl:variable name="linkClasses" select="('Business_Objective','Business_Capability')" />
fail :(
melbpar1 wrote: Also, the purpose of the report is to show our key business objectives and the supporting sub-capabilities and capabilities as part of our portfolio management analysis. So it is different to the business capability summary report.
melbpar1 wrote: Please let me know if you have any other suggestions
I'm not sure of the report tree you want to create. Do you want 1) to go from some predefined report to your new report or 2) to go from your new report to predefined ones ?
Or else do you want a new entry to appear in the menu pop-up associated to predefined classes (business_objectives or business_capability) ?
melbpar1

jmk. Thanks for your response.
I figured out what the problem was (as always it seems pretty obvious once you find it :oops: ). I was missing the following declarations:

<xsl:param name="targetReportId"/>
	<xsl:param name="targetMenuShortName"/>
which should also be used in the templates:

<xsl:with-param name="targetMenu" select="$targetMenu"/>
				<xsl:with-param name="targetReport" select="$targetReport"/>
The intent is to go from a new report to a pre-defined one.
It all works now and thanks again for your help.
jmk

melbpar1 wrote:jmk. Thanks for your response.
I figured out what the problem was (as always it seems pretty obvious once you find it :oops: ).
Fine ...

FYI, just in case you'd like to add some search capabilities to your viewer you may have a look to the following article :

http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/ ... f=15&t=743

Regards,

J.-M.

I was missing the following declarations:

<xsl:param name="targetReportId"/>
	<xsl:param name="targetMenuShortName"/>
which should also be used in the templates:

<xsl:with-param name="targetMenu" select="$targetMenu"/>
				<xsl:with-param name="targetReport" select="$targetReport"/>
The intent
jonathan.carter

I'm not quite sure how far you got here. You're absolutely right about how the link definition has moved on with Version 3.

It sounds like you've added the required elements to the Essential Viewer configuration in the repository but the simplest thing should be:

- Create a new Report instance for your new view
- Create a new Report Menu Item instance that links your new view
- Add this Report Menu Item to the 'Business Capability Generic Menu' Menu Group

This should add your new menu item to any menu that pops up for a Business Capability Link. Remember to check the 'Enabled' check-box in the repository on both the Report and the Report Menu Item instances

Jonathan
Essential Project Team