Organisation Modelling

aducci

I see that the Essential Viewer has a view that generates an org model.

I would like to know where the organisation elements are created within the meta-model? i would imagine that organisation design would be part of the business domain, however the only thing that i see is the Site-Category class.

Please assist.
paulmcmahon

Business_Layer -> Business_Logical -> Business_Role -> Group_Business_Role / Individual_Business_Role
aducci

Thanks, i will try this route. Was trying to generate the org viewpoints in the viewer.
jonathan.carter

Viewer is purely about viewing reports, analysis views and perspectives presented in terms that make sense to a wide range of stakeholders.

Any changes to the model are performed in the repository modelling environment via Protege.

Note that the org model View uses Actors, rather than Roles. The Roles define the design of the organisation but the Actors (Business_Physical) describe the actual structure. You can capture the organisation at any level of granularity, each unit being an Instance of Group Actor, until we get down to actual individuals where we use Individual Actor.

It's very simple to capture the organisation by defining which Actors are contained within a particular Group Actor.

By the way, in Essential Viewer, you will find a link called 'View Manuals' at the top-right of the page. Click through here and you will see a list of all the view manuals that are available (we're adding to this list). There is one for the Organisation Model, which provides a good example of what they're about. The idea is show which modelling elements are being used by the queries in the View.

Fire up Essential Viewer and try this link:
Organisation Structure View Manual

Note also, that this View uses a Report Constant (defined in the repository) to identify the "root" Group Actor for the organisation. You need to connect this to the Group Actor that represents the top level of your organisation, e.g. "My Company"
To do so:

- Open your repository in Protege
- Go to EA_Support -> Essential Viewer in the Class Browser
- Select the Report_Constant class
- Find the constant 'Org Model - Root Organisation' in the Instance Browser and select it.
- In the form field, 'Associate Instances', click on the + button and select your Root Actor, e.g. "My Company" by navigating the class hierarchy in the pop-up dialog.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team