Information MetaModel

peter.roome

I've been browsing through the technology, information, business and application models. I'm trying to figure our how the information model relates to the process and application models. For example, I'd like to be able to associate a "product ID" with an application service/function or a business process. How do I do that? Did I miss something in the documentation?

Thanks
Peter
jonathan.carter

Hi Peter.

I realise that the tutorials are a bit light on this at the moment.
Information can be associated with Business Processes by specifying the information views that the process creates, reads, updates and deletes. I might only read information in the course of it's execution, so it's perfectly OK to leave the other fields on the Business Process form empty.

Applications are linked to Information in a similar way. The Application Provider class (which is what we use to represent an application - being about the functionality/behaviour of the system and being a provider of application services) has a field in which we can specify the Information Representation (a representation of a View using a specific technology, e.g. RDBMS, XML) that it operates on.

At a finer grain of detail, using the Application Functions (like the operations of a service), we can capture the information that is passed into and returned by these functions. In the Application Function Implementations (sub-components of the Application Provider), we can again capture the information that is created, read, updated deleted by the function.

Additionally, in the graphical models, such as the Business Process Flows, we can capture the Information that is passed in the relationship between process steps. Similarly, in the dynamic models of the Application layer, we can define the information that is passed in the relationship.
Finally, in the Software Architectures, we can capture the information representations that software components use.

Hopefully, that gives you a flavour - and really needs 4 or 5 tutorials to cover it in more detail. Don't hesitate to post back if you have any specific questions about how you might go about modelling what you need to capture.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team