Business Process Model View: How to Display "Start" and "End" element?

xiaoqi

Hello,

Recent days I'm working quite a lot in Business Process modeling, here is one question of using this view.

Background: (see attached 20230720-01.png) some of our processes may have the decision element used in the last step, like this sample, if the decision is "yes" then the process will be end.

Modeling: (see attached 20230720-02.png) within Protege, I use the Decision element and drag one link from Decision to End, and mark "Yes" in the line, the model diagram in Protege looks properly.

Viewer: (see attached 20230720-03.png) in the viewer, the problem is the flow doesn't show Start and End element, which resulting that "Yes" line not visible.

Question: could you advise whether it's possible to display Start and End element in this view? That will make the process shown in fully correct way and no information missed.

Thanks greatly,
Xiaoqi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jasonp

Hello Xiaoqi,

you are correct, at present the Business Process Flow view does not show the start and end nodes. However, it does display Initiating Events and Raised Events which you can use in place of Start and End nodes respectively. In Protege, you can find them in the palette of components that can be dragged onto the model. If you want to keep things simple, you can just create 2 instances of the Business_Event class called Start and End and just re-use them across your Process Models.

Regards,

Jason
xiaoqi

Thanks a lot Jason, using Initiating & Raised event nodes is really one good workaround, I've added then to the flow and now at least can see the starting and ending.

Two more tiny points before perfecting, referring to attached screenshots:

1. It's strange still that the text in the line, here in picture 02, "yes" is still not displayed in the view, while you can see "no" is OK displaying on the line. Any settings hide the text between normal activity node to event node?

2. After adding more instance, there're quite a lot same name instances created within Protege, it's not big issue, but just give some uncomfortable, since simply "start" and "end" not providing meaningful information. So, I think the good solution is still to show directly the "Start" and "End" node, as we're now adding unnecessary redundancy in the element level.

Thanks,
Xiaoqi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.