Technology Component and Technology Composite

John

Hi,

I'm after clarification of some information in the meta-model surrounding Technology Components.

I would like to define a composite technology component (where a vendor product actually provides multiple components in a single component and I need to be able to represent the technology product role correctly). According to the meta-model definitions a "Technology Composite" is "Technology Composites are Technology Components that are made up of other Technology Components and have a defining architecture which describes the Technology Components that are used to make the composite." however when creating an instance of a Technology Composite there is no way for me to define the Technology Components that make up the composite.

Have I missed the point?

Cheers
jonathan.carter

Hi John,

The Technology Component represents product-agnostic 'types' or 'classes' of technology, e.g. RDBMS, Java Application Server and so on. As you say, we can then define Technology Composites that describe an architecture of individual Technology Components that capture the set of Components that feature in the Composite and the relationships /dependencies that exist between them.

We use a pattern that we call Definition and Architecture for defining the Technology Composites - and this is pattern that features across the meta model. With this pattern, we start by defining the Technology Composite as a 'black-box' and this means that we can use this composite, capture manage relationships to it etc. without having to know the details of what it contains. However, when we need to or want to capture what's 'in the box' we then create a 'defining architecture' in the Technology Component Architecture field of the relevant Technology Composite instance.

In the Technology Component Architecture field, we create a new Technology Component Architecture instance (using the 'new' button creates the new instance and defines the relationship). Protege then presents us with a graphical form in which we define the set of Technology Components that are used in this Technology Composite.

Simply drag 'Technology Component' shapes from the palette on the left onto the canvas. Click on each to define the name of the Component but note that we need to model exactly what each shape is representing. Each shape is showing that the Technology Component is being used in this Technology Composite, so we need to 'open up' that shape (Protege will present a new form to us) and complete the form - wiring it up to the Technology Component that is being used.

In addition to defining the components that make up the composite, we can drag relationships between these component usages on the canvas, and opening the relationship (select the arc and open it) we can capture the protocol that is being used on this dependency.

I think this covers what you describe - but let me know how you get on

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
John

Thanks Jonathan, That is a great answer and makes it a lot clearer for me.

Cheer, John