Governance Body & Group Actor

klawry38

Hi,
After some advice on how best to document the various Governance Bodies that exist in our organisation. I see the Governance Body class has a slot that points to a Group Actor but using that appears to simply create a whole bunch of "orphan" group actors that are not part of a hierarchy. My need for clarification arose out of documenting a series of decisions where I discovered the "Decision Made By Actor" slot can only be an Individual Actor or Group Actor whereas in a number of cases our decisions were made by a governance body that is not formally part of the organsation hierarchy.
I guess the question is: Is the practice of creating equivalent a Group Actor for each Governance Body the best/only way to provide flexibility? If so, are there any suggestions as to how to separate these "synthetic group actors" from the real ones?

Cheers
Keith
jasonp

Hi,

the intention of the gb_group_actor was to allow modellers to relate Governance Body instances to the rest of the enterprise architecture in a manner that is consistent, e.g. capturing processes undertaken by a Governance Body. As you suggest, depending upon your operating model, this could result in Organisations that are not connected to your main org structure, but this in itself is not necessarily an issue, e.g. for organisations that have matrix style operating models where disconnected orgs are deemed acceptable. However, I appreciate that this is not the true in your case, therefore I am wondering whether there is a gap in the meta-model - specifically, whether adding Governance Body as an allowed class on the Decision Made By Actor slot of the Decision class would address your issue.

Thanks,

Jason