Creating Visualizations Connected to Repository

carlo1202

Hi,

I was looking for some options to create visualizations in Essential. I have added an example of what I would like to do. I have found the graphical editor at the Static Application Provider Architecture but I find the options of this particular editor quite limited. What else is available?

Best regards,

Carlo
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neil.walsh

Hi Carlo,

We feel that although the drawing paradigm can be really useful for certain modelling aspects, it tends not to scale very well. This is especially true where you cross modelling domains (Business, Application, Info/Data, Tech) where you can quickly run into dozens or hundreds of relationships.

To address this, we separate data capture (modelling) from reporting. This allows us to create reporting visualisations appropriate to the data shown (scale, complexity, etc). These can be text-based or graphical and we provide more than 150 different Views out of the box to support this.

In Essential Open Source, we provide the Java-based Protege tool and the Essential Import Utility as ways to capture information. There are aspects, as you mentioned, where we use a graphical paradigm to capture data but predominantly it is form-based or using the Import Utility.

In Essential Cloud/Docker we also provide a browser-based data capture tool (replacing Protege), Essential Editors and REST APIs for capturing data (in addition to the Import Utility). Customers often bulk load data via the Import Utility (Excel or XML) commonly using Essential Launchpad or via APIs/Integration. Essential Editors then can provide a mix of paradigms for data capture appropriate to the scope. This can include forms, matrices, drag & drop, drawing, and more. These are quickly becoming the most popular method for maintaining data in the repository. We are able to provide these features in Cloud/Docker as it builds on some underlying technology (e.g. APIs) that only exist in those versions. It would not be possible (or say practical) for us to bring these specific features into the open source version at this time.

Some customers have developed their own solutions from importing data from other drawing tools such as Sparx or Visio but because of the loose semantics of these tools, this isn't something we can provide as pre-built solution. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Best

Neil