Strategic Goals Summary

colinfrewen

Hi,

We have been using the business strategy footprint but have now seen some data clashes with how the Strategic Goals Summary works. The Strategy Footprint looks at Business_Objective but not at the Business_Goal class. The Strategic Goals Summary seems to look at both but dosnt bring back multiple objectives for for strategic goal.

Logically: We would model the strategic goals as strategic goals (taxonomy term) and the business _objectives as SMART objectives, taxonomy term.

Neither report works as expected or desired. Has there been a pick up on this?

Colin
JohnM

Hi Colin,

I've taken a look and the Strategy Footprint uses the old way of modelling (pre the Bus Goals class), we're updating the Bus Cap Dashboard to merge that view into it and it will use both the old and the new way, it should be in the next platform release.

Re the strat goals summary, we'll take a look and get that fixed.

John
JohnM

Hi Colin,

I've taken a look and the Strategy Footprint uses the old way of modelling (pre the Bus Goals class), we're updating the Bus Cap Dashboard to merge that view into it and it will use both the old and the new way, it should be in the next platform release.

Re the strat goals summary, we'll take a look and get that fixed.

John
aschoijett

Hi John,

I just wanted to let you know that although the verbiage on the documentation page below captures what you said in your previous response, the video in that page still shows the old way of modeling.

https://enterprise-architecture.org/doc ... objectives

A few related questions:

1) Why was it necessary to split the old class that was classified through a taxonomy element, into two new classes (goal and objective), adding yet another class to the metamodel? To me, they could be modelled as a mere decomposition.

2) I'm using the Open Source version, with Protege. In the new class Business_Goal, I can't see a way of tying it to the Objectives that support it. In addition, in the new class Business_Objective I can see a field called "Supported Objective", which lets you add Business Objectives but not Goals. Based on this, how do you tie Business Goals to Business Objectives?

3) In the new class Business_Objective (again, using the Open Source version) I see a field called Objective / Strategic Goal name. Is that a remnant of the old metamodel?

(As an anecdotal aside: most organizations I work with use the terms Goal and Objective indistinctively, and from the very few of those that call the difference, even fewer actually take the time to define all the aspects of a SMART objective. Most limit the definition of their "objectives" to a tag line with few words (e.g., the ubiquitous "customer service" or "cost control") that say little and mean even less. When confronted with that situation, I hear responses like, "well...that needs to be defined by each Business Unit. We are just providing high level guidance statements." I point out to them that my barber too uses those statements in her business -- but haven't managed to change much so far :D )