Failing to Publish Snapshots to Repository with HTTPS

jperrygodfrey

When setting up Tomcat with SSL and turning off port 8080 and port 80, the Publishing of snapshots to Essentials Viewer fails:
Viewer https Error.jpg

Even though when I open the port back up on server.xml it will publish back through 8080:
Viewer http Publish.jpg
Any ideas to help in setting this up so Publishing viewer will work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neil.walsh

Hi jperrygodfrey,

Are you using the built in Java with Protege or an external Java for Protege?

If you are using the built-in Java then they will not be able to communicate via SSL/TLS unless you add the SSL/TLS certificate to the Java trustStore using the keytool command at the command line. I haven't looked at this in quite a few years so the details are a little hazy to me but if you google "java apps communicate via ssl" then you'll get some relevant answers.

The better route might be to have Protege use your local Java install though I recommend only Java 1.8 for this.

What OS are you running this on? Are you setting up single or multi-user?

Cheers

Neil
jperrygodfrey

I am using the built in Java with Protege, however I needed to change from JRE 1.8 to JDK 1.8 when I implemented the CA signed cert. We are also using a multi-user environment. Also after looking at the lax.nl.current.vm shows the JRE Java.exe not the JDK one. Any ideas?
neil.walsh

Hi,

I'm going to assume you are using Windows given you mentioned Java.exe.

If you open the Protege.lax file in a text editor, you will see a reference to the JVM which Protege is currently using.

For example:
lax.nl.current.vm=..\\Protege_3.5\\jre\\bin\\java.exe

The example above shows a relative path in our standalone version.

You should set this path to the absolute path for your Java.exe. This must be the same JRE/JDK that you are using for Tomcat. This will mean both Protege and Tomcat are sharing the same certs and should hopefully resolve your publishing issue.

Cheers

Neil