SVG Addin is Obsolete

schulmkg

he "Deployed OS Summary" says that it "Requires Firefox, or IE with an SVG plug-in"

the gotcha is that the SVG Plug-in for IE has not been supported since 2009 and thus does not run reliably with the latest two versions of IE
neil.walsh

Hi schulmkg,

Whilst it is true that the SVG plugin developed by Adobe for Internet Explorer is no longer being actively developed, it is a stable product and does (to the best of my knowledge) work fine in IE6, IE7 and IE8 for using Essential Viewer. In the new IE9, SVG support is baked directly into the browser so no plugin is required.

For future reports, we may use alternative technologies to support IE

SVGWeb is one alternative
http://code.google.com/p/svgweb/

This uses Flash, which generally speaking, we're not too keen on but in reality is available where we users are using IE6, IE7 and IE8.

Are you having problems running the report?
Are there any errors you can report?

Thanks for your post

Cheers

Neil
jonathan.carter

Thanks - you're quite right.

As you can tell, this particular view goes back a bit.

With the HTML 5 stuff, SVG is properly supported, so that comment is no longer required. The View itself isn't obsolete or the SVG approach, though.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
schulmkg

NeilWalsh wrote:Hi schulmkg,

Whilst it is true that the SVG plugin developed by Adobe for Internet Explorer is no longer being actively developed, it is a stable product and does (to the best of my knowledge) work fine in IE6, IE7 and IE8 for using Essential Viewer. In the new IE9, SVG support is baked directly into the browser so no plugin is required.

For future reports, we may use alternative technologies to support IE

SVGWeb is one alternative
http://code.google.com/p/svgweb/

This uses Flash, which generally speaking, we're not too keen on but in reality is available where we users are using IE6, IE7 and IE8.

Are you having problems running the report?
Are there any errors you can report?

Thanks for your post

Cheers

Neil
Thanks I'll try that plugin. The Adobe End Of Life message scared me off, and in Firefox the data was so compressed it was hard to read
neil.walsh

Do let us know how you get on...

I tried this and although the rendering wasn't quite as pretty as it should have been, it was quite usable.

Only took about 5 mins to add too...

Add this line of code as the first line in the <head> section
<script src="js/svg.js" data-path="js/" data-htc-filename="svg-htc.jsp"></script>

Add the following files to the JS folder in your viewer environment
svg.js
svg.htc
svg.swf
svg-htc.jsp

As I said, this doesn't look quite as nice as it should using proper SVG via the plugin but it's a nice quick fix to make use of the view.

Cheers

Neil