Link Business Capability & Application Capability

carlo1202

Dear helper,

I was discussing the Essential Meta Model with a collegeau and we think that there is a link between Business Capabilities and Application Capabilities as that the Business Capabilities consist of the Application Capabilities or the other way around. I am curious to find out what your opinion on this is. So is there even an relation between Business Capabilities and Application Capabilities and if so, what is this relation?

Best regards,

Carlo
jmk

Hi Carlo,
I think you are looking for the "app_cap_supports_bus_cap", this relation/slot relates an app_cap to a bus_cap.

According to the metamodel (Protége): there is not inverse relation for "app_cap_supports_bus_cap" so there is no direct relation from bus_cap to app_cap.

Regards,

Jean-Marie.
carlo1202

Hi Jean-Marie,

Can we have access to the complete meta model? That would be the integral meta model, and not just views on the meta model, as is currently provided in the Essential Documentation. If the meta model is defined in Ontology Web Language, can we have the code? This would offer us the opportunity to counter any future difficulties we are facing regarding the meta model.

Best regards,

Carlo
jmk

Hi Marco,

you'll have to install the opensource version as explained in the download page to study the whole metamodel.

You'll need the following components : 'java 1.8', 'Essential Protege Ontology Editor', 'widgets', 'Meta-Model' (there is no reason to install tomcat or the viewer in your case).

Note that the model is not expressed in OWL but in 'frames', a preceding KB language documented at the end of this page.

J.-M.
PS: See also the following doc for essential : https://enterprise-architecture.org/doc ... g_started/
carlo1202

Hi J-M,

The link to the download page ends up on a error page. Do you have a working link for me?
Moreover, let's say we want to map the following:
1. Given this Application capability, give me all business capabilities that are supported by this application capability.
2. Given this business capability, give me all the application capabilities that support this business capability.

How would we go about creating this mapping, do we have to program a report ourselves to map it this way or can it be done without programming?

Best regards,

Carlo Talsma
jmk

jmk

About your other questions (BC/AC mappings): I'll let someone from eas provide an answer as, AMHA, it depends on what kind of interface you would like for these mappings : json, "out of the box report", java, javascript...

Regards,

J.-M.
JohnM

Hi Carlo,

We don't have an out of the box view for just those mappings. What would you want to see?

Thanks

John