informative system

gioppo

Where to map the concept of an entire informative system?
The case is a public institution, and the topic is work.
The PA has to manage the "work" informative system that means applications for unemployed list, for communications from and to company that employ people, etc.
Can this be a composite application or is a too broad context and in that case where to map it?
Same apply with instruction, health etc.
jonathan.carter

I'm not sure I'm clear what you're looking for here.

Is it that you want to have an element in the model that represents "the entire information architecture"?

If so, you should do this as you describe by using composition. All the Information Layer artefacts (Concepts, Views and Representations) have a field (slot) for capturing the sub-elements that are contained in it. This works well to manage levels of granularity separately (how much detail) from levels of abstraction (conceptual, logical, physical) and means that you can "roll things up" or group things together and say "these are all the Information Views in this context". Of course, things can be contained in more than one group in this way!

We apply this approach quite consistently across the meta model, so you can do the same in the Business Layer to model the design of the organisation (using Group_Business_Roles) and the actuality of the organisation (using Group_Actors). In this way, you could have a Group Business Role of "Public Institution" and then have a Group Actor for each specific institution that you are working with.

Jason's just finishing off a Tutorial that should help with this and addresses one of your other recent posts - about how to capture services that are provided to multiple clients.

Let me know if I've mis-understood or you'd like to explore this further

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
gioppo

I think we are talking of the same thing, but I'll try to make myself clear.
Take government agency: it have business divided into wide topica, public health, work, streets, and so on.
Each department has a bunch of software to solve its need.
this bunch of software constitute its "informative system" so in one you can find autocad, office and client-server application for street excavation planning or authorirization to build private roads (with it's workflow engine ate.); in the other you will find unemployed statistical analisys, web application for enterprises that have to communitate the new employee, the web site for finding jobs, etc.
I believe that it's right to map this System as a composite application or I keep all the logical view of the System in the business layer?
Since I could have composite application like Oracle Portal that has Oracle application server, web server, DB etc and perhaps the application layer is more for thoses cases?
jonathan.carter

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

Thanks for this, we see what you're trying to do.
Jason is working on a detailed reply at the moment and will get back to you very soon.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
gioppo

Thanks I'll wait for it.

P.S
if you also have some idea on hte open source licence topic I could complete the data and send it back to you
jonathan.carter

What we'd like to do is to operate a 'community process' to introduce this capability properly. We're keen that this is not a 'hack' - and we've already been looking into some slightly wider, related requirements - so we'll post the design for review by yourself and others before delivering the extensions. We'll get something posted very shortly, and you could start looking at how that would support your needs.

I appreciate that this will take a bit longer but as I say, the intention is to make sure that this extension is introduced properly.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
gioppo

Very well, it seems a very good idea.
Luca
gioppo

I've seen the sample project you posted.
First of all thanks.
Now here with the questions ;-)
You have defined Oracle Financials as Application Provider ... why not a composite application provider.
Oracle Financials is a composition of Application server, identity management, portal, DB and "name something else and it's there".
I expected it to be a composite because when you will deploy it it will never go in the same machine, you will have a cluster for file system (maybe using RAC or Veritas), than cluster for application server, some more server for web cache etc.
This way you can better map it in the other layers

This was the doubt I had in my post.
I would use the application provider for DB and composite for stuff like oracle financials.
Now having used things in this way the problem is: for a government department where Oracle financials can be just one of the things that are there, where do I place the "abstract" concept of the "informative system" of that part of the government? Can I use the composite application provider as a container for multiple things like Oracle Financials plus internal procedures and maybe a bunch of MySQL archives with some java services, and so on.
Doesn't run the risk of having too much stuff in there?
Luca
john.gaul

Based on my understanding of what you would like to capture, a <Composite Application Provider> wouldn't be the right approach.

Looking at reports in the Essential Architecture Manager may help to make things clearer. Try publishing the sample repository from Protege to the Essential Architecture Manager. Then, from the Essential Viewer homepage, click on the image for Architecture Governance and then the link for Business Capabilities Supported by Application Services Analysis.

You should be seeing a list of business areas in alphabetical order: "Distribution", "Finance", "Investment Management", and so on. These correspond to <Business Domains> in the Essential metamodel.

If you click on either the Select All or the Finance link, you will be presented with a summary view of the systems in place to support the different business capabilities that fall within the Finance area.

For example, you will see that the Fee Billing business capability is supported by a Fee Billing System (<Application Service>) and that in this case, there are 4 different solutions (e.g. Advantage) in use for providing this functionality (<Application Providers>).

In addition, by clicking on the name of one of the Application Providers, you will be able to view further details such as the internal software components of the Application Provider (including elements such as stored procedures, java components), the data stores that are accessed by the Application Provider (e.g. an employee data archive on MySQL) as well the underlying technology infrastructure components (e.g. Oracle Portal Server, Weblogic Application Server, Oracle 10g) and the physical servers on which they are deployed.

You can view how these underlying elements of Advantage were captured in Protege by doing the following:

[*] Select [Application Layer | Application_Logical] Application_Provider in the class browser and then Advantage in the Instance Browser.
[*] To see how the internal software components of Advantage were captured, double click on the High Level Software Architecture field in the Instance Editor. From here, you can double click on any of the nodes in the diagram to view further details for each software component.
[*] To view the architecture of the underlying technology infrastructure, you can navigate from here via the Depends on Technology field, but an easier approach for now is to select [Technology Layer | Technology_Logical | Technology_Provider] Technology Product Build in the class browser, then Advantage Production Technology Build in the Instance Browser and then double click on the Technology Provider Architecture field in the Instance Editor. Again, you can double click on any of the nodes in the diagram to view further details of each technology element (including where each has been deployed).

Does what I have described here reflect the kind of information that you are trying to capture?

John (Essential Project Team)