Business Capability - Application Fit

joaduar

Hi.
We are implementing Application Portfolio in our company.
Right now we are trying to use EAS application that seems to be the more suitable for the company.
We updated for the latest version 6.14.

If all goes well, we will move from the open source to the cloud option.
Right now we are having some issues to provide data for some view and one of the more important ones for us right now is the Application Fit report.

We are not able to see the following score colours in the report:

We are following the Essential Project Documentation https://enterprise-architecture.org/doc ... g_started/.

In Protégé Application we filled the following classes and filled the Perfomance measures values for each application. But the business fit and technical fit values are still coming empty.
Application_Perfomance_measures_JsonValuesReturned.png

Below are the screens we are filling:
Applications
Application_Perfomance_measures.png
Values
Application_Perfomance_measures_2.png
I will more images in a next post. Seems I'm able to add more in this post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnM

Hi,
This view calculates the capability fit by aggregating the scores of the applications per process supporting the capability.

You need to capture the fit of the application when it supports a specific process, e.g. An internal HR application could be rated as very good at supporting a payroll process performed by HR, but poor at supporting a career planning process.

This is very important as it means you can determine the strengths and weaknesses of an application at a very granular level and, if you have modelled application services, determine where the application needs remediation or not. It is much more beneficial that just saying ‘this application is a good fit for the organisation’ as you can say, ‘ it is a good fit for this, but not for this’ and if you tie it up with some of our other views, you can also say, ’…and there is another application that is better at doing the bit this application doesn’t do so well’. As you probably know, we as architects need this level of information to be able to make informed decisions when asked 'why can't we just replace system X?'

The meta model is below, the key step is to add the performance measure to the class that associates the application/application service to the physical process. There is a sheet in Launchpad Plus that will do this for you.
businessFitMetaModel.png
Hopefully that helps

John
PS We are looking whether we can provide a view that lets you associate the application as you have in your post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joaduar

Hi. Really sorry for the late reply.
I didn't receive any reply notification, and we just got back to solve this issue again now.

Thanks a lot for the reply. You point us in the right direction.

Just need to clarify if we are adding in the correct place because the view seems to still not work. Surely we are doing something wrong.

We just updated EAS version to 6.15.6.

We went to Physical Processes
PhysicalProcess.png
Added a performance measure for Technical Fit
PerformanceMeasurement.png
The measurement as the following details:
MeasurementDetails.png
But still the view does not show information about the performance measurement.

Hope you can provide us more details.
Thanks in advance for the help.
We really appreciate it.

Regards.
JohnM

Hi,

Can you confirm the class name you are mapping the fit to?

The measure has to be on the APP_PRO_TO_PHYS_BUS_RELATION. This is the class that appears when in the Physical Process you add the application(s) used by the process mapped via the slot Supporting Applications.

Thanks

John
PS I mentioned we were looking to allow the you to map measures directly to apps, keep an eye out as that will be in the 6.16 release and is a new view that replaces the above one.
joaduar

Hi.
Thanks for the help on this.
We were able to fix the view, the issue was we have Physical process supported both by services and applications in APP_PRO_TO_PHYS_BUS_RELATION.
Using only one allows to have the measures. Cannot have both (like in the diagram you provide says 'either').

Thanks for the help on this.
Regards,
João Duarte
klawry38

Hi guys,
Having just completed the upgrade v6.16 I noticed the "Business Capability - Application Fit" view has been deprecated. I have to admit to having struggled with getting consistent views (seemed to work well if only one application was complete in terms of "fit" for a given capability - more than one app would always give erroneous results....) and was hoping the new version would go some way to rectifying....sadly not to be....

With that said, the concept of "fit" with respect to Applications to Business Capability is something we use quite a lot so is there an equivalent view that I/we could use? From the one line description is seems "Application Overlay/Landscape" may deliver but whenever I run it I simply get a blank page with a "Overlay" dropdown control with nothing in it. Which, to be honest, may (probably) be due a lack of data in the appropriate slots.....

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Keith

An update to the above: Forgot to add that the viewer creates an exception when running the "Application Overlay" view. Copy/Paste below
Warning at xsl:stylesheet on line 11 column 19 of viewer_security.xsl:
Stylesheet module
file:/C:/common/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer_6162/WEB-INF/security/viewer_security.xsl
is included or imported more than once. This is permitted, but may lead to errors or
unexpected behavior
Warning at xsl:stylesheet on line 2 column 550 of core_utilities.xsl:
Stylesheet module
file:/C:/common/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer_6162/common/core_utilities.xsl is
included or imported more than once. This is permitted, but may lead to errors or
unexpected behavior
Warning at xsl:stylesheet on line 29 column 331 of functx-1.0-doc-2007-01.xsl:
Stylesheet module
file:/C:/common/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer_6162/common/functx-1.0-doc-2007-01.xsl is
included or imported more than once. This is permitted, but may lead to errors or
unexpected behavior
Warning at xsl:stylesheet on line 10 column 52 of core_menu.xsl:
Stylesheet module
file:/C:/common/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer_6162/common/core_menu.xsl is included or
imported more than once. This is permitted, but may lead to errors or unexpected behavior
Warning at xsl:stylesheet on line 3 column 436 of core_modal_reports.xsl:
Stylesheet module
file:/C:/common/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer_6162/common/core_modal_reports.xsl is
unexpected behavior
Warning at xsl:stylesheet on line 2 column 80 of core_char_map.xsl:
Stylesheet module
file:/C:/common/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer_6162/common/core_char_map.xsl is included
or imported more than once. This is permitted, but may lead to errors or unexpected behavior
Warning at xsl:stylesheet on line 2 column 80 of datatables_includes.xsl:
Stylesheet module
file:/C:/common/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer_6162/common/datatables_includes.xsl is
unexpected behavior
Warning at function eas:get_float_slot_values on line 2393 of core_utilities.xsl:
SXWN9000: A function that computes atomic values should use xsl:sequence rather than xsl:value-of
Warning at function eas:get_integer_slot_values on line 2384 of core_utilities.xsl:
SXWN9000: A function that computes atomic values should use xsl:sequence rather than xsl:value-of
03-Oct-2022 13:22:47.219 SEVERE [http-nio-8081-exec-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke Servlet.service() for servlet [ReportAPIServlet] in context with path [/essential_viewer_6162] threw exception
java.lang.IllegalStateException: getOutputStream() has already been called for this response
at org.apache.catalina.connector.Response.getWriter(Response.java:585)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseFacade.getWriter(ResponseFacade.java:211)
at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.report.ReportAPIServlet.doGet(ReportAPIServlet.java:118)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:626)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:733)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.report.LoadCSRF.doFilter(LoadCSRF.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.report.FilterSetLoggingContext.doFilter(FilterSetLoggingContext.java:90)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:199)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:543)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:139)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:81)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:690)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:87)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:343)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:615)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:65)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:818)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1626)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketProcessorBase.run(SocketProcessorBase.java:49)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)
JohnM

Hi,

Re the app fit, you can still use the old view, it's just that we won't support it going forward. The overlay does replace it, however, you will need to add in the Performance Category. You will need to add the elements in red.
Screenshot 2022-10-05 at 08.36.36.png

The model is here https://university.enterprise-architect ... -landscape

Hopefully that helps.

re the error, I'll ask the support team to see if they can work it out.
klawry38

Hi John,
Thanks for the advice - very much appreciated. I have tried adding the Performance categories, etc. but to no avail. But, interestingly, now and again I get interesting errors appearing in the essential-viewer.log file (excerpt copied below) which suggest a number of .xsl files are missing from the deployment.

I have tried the demo portal (https://essentialviewer.com/) in the hope it would give me hints as to what data I may be missing and the Overlay view but, alas, it exhibits the same result - i.e. blank page - so I'm no further ahead.

Cheers
Keith

2022-10-06 13:27:14,580 | ERROR | Unmanaged exception caught when creating pre-cache Report API list : {} | : | ReportAPIEngine.java | 414
javax.xml.transform.TransformerConfigurationException: net.sf.saxon.s9api.SaxonApiException: I/O error reported by XML parser processing file:/C:/common/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer_6162/business/api/core_api_bl_bus_perf_measures.xsl: C:\common\tomcat\webapps\essential_viewer_6162\business\api\core_api_bl_bus_perf_measures.xsl (The system cannot find the file specified)
at net.sf.saxon.jaxp.SaxonTransformerFactory.newTemplates(SaxonTransformerFactory.java:157) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.jaxp.SaxonTransformerFactory.newTransformer(SaxonTransformerFactory.java:111) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.report.ReportAPIEngine.getPreCacheJson(ReportAPIEngine.java:393) [classes/:?]
at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.report.ReportAPIEngine.access$000(ReportAPIEngine.java:69) [classes/:?]
at com.enterprise_architecture.essential.report.ReportAPIEngine$ReportAPIRequestor.run(ReportAPIEngine.java:506) [classes/:?]
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:539) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) [?:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833) [?:?]
Caused by: net.sf.saxon.s9api.SaxonApiException: I/O error reported by XML parser processing file:/C:/common/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer_6162/business/api/core_api_bl_bus_perf_measures.xsl: C:\common\tomcat\webapps\essential_viewer_6162\business\api\core_api_bl_bus_perf_measures.xsl (The system cannot find the file specified)
at net.sf.saxon.s9api.XsltCompiler.compile(XsltCompiler.java:843) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.jaxp.SaxonTransformerFactory.newTemplates(SaxonTransformerFactory.java:154) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
... 9 more
Caused by: net.sf.saxon.trans.XPathException: I/O error reported by XML parser processing file:/C:/common/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer_6162/business/api/core_api_bl_bus_perf_measures.xsl: C:\common\tomcat\webapps\essential_viewer_6162\business\api\core_api_bl_bus_perf_measures.xsl (The system cannot find the file specified)
at net.sf.saxon.event.Sender.sendSAXSource(Sender.java:467) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.event.Sender.send(Sender.java:168) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.style.StylesheetModule.sendStylesheetSource(StylesheetModule.java:157) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.style.StylesheetModule.loadStylesheet(StylesheetModule.java:229) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.style.Compilation.compileSingletonPackage(Compilation.java:113) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.s9api.XsltCompiler.compile(XsltCompiler.java:838) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.jaxp.SaxonTransformerFactory.newTemplates(SaxonTransformerFactory.java:154) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
... 9 more
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\common\tomcat\webapps\essential_viewer_6162\business\api\core_api_bl_bus_perf_measures.xsl (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:216) ~[?:?]
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:157) ~[?:?]
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:111) ~[?:?]
at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:86) ~[?:?]
at sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:189) ~[?:?]
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityManager.setupCurrentEntity(XMLEntityManager.java:653) ~[?:?]
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLVersionDetector.determineDocVersion(XMLVersionDetector.java:150) ~[?:?]
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:861) ~[?:?]
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:825) ~[?:?]
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:141) ~[?:?]
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1224) ~[?:?]
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:637) ~[?:?]
at net.sf.saxon.event.Sender.sendSAXSource(Sender.java:439) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.event.Sender.send(Sender.java:168) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.style.StylesheetModule.sendStylesheetSource(StylesheetModule.java:157) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.style.StylesheetModule.loadStylesheet(StylesheetModule.java:229) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.style.Compilation.compileSingletonPackage(Compilation.java:113) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
at net.sf.saxon.s9api.XsltCompiler.compile(XsltCompiler.java:838) ~[Saxon-HE-10.3.jar:?]
... 9 more
neil.walsh

Hi,

That looks like a bug with some missing files in the release. We'll get that fixed when we ship the next release in a few weeks.

Cheers

Neil
sandeepraizada

Hi I am using Essential Viewer 6.19.2. And i am unable to get the Business fit or the Technical Fit in the view Business Capability - Application Fit.

I am following the model as described in the link. https://enterprise-architecture.org/uni ... landscape/

here is how i am able to view it on the Instance Navigator view.

Requesting help on how to set this view up.. the do's and dont's and watch-outs or what is absolutely mandatory. There is no helper excel for this either, so I am kind of struggling.

any help/guidance is greatly appreciated
JohnM

Launchpad Plus has a loader for this: use the Application KPIs loader.

View Library > Support > Launchpad Plus