Value Stage class structure

TMC

Hi,
I am setting up some new data in Essential for value streams and value stages. I see the value stage class is defined with each instance name derived from the value stream, index, and label for the value stage. However the label slot is not set as a string entry, rather as an instance of separate Label class. Is this really what is intended - it would seem much more appropriate that the value stage label slot was a free text string?
Perhaps I have misunderstood how you intend value streams and value stages to be used?
Tudor
jasonp

Hi Tudor,

the original intention was to use a Label classified for the Value Stage label slot in order to support multi-language against the slot. However, in hindsight, we would agree that this has added complexity for limited, if any, benefit as multi-language support can still be achieved by creating a Synonym instance against the Value Stage in the usual way.

This is something that we are looking to address in our 6.12 release that will include a System Update/EUP which will create a new string slot called vsg_value_stage_label and migrate any Label instances defined against the existing vsg_label to this new slot. In addition, we will be updating any out-of-the-box views, e.g. Value Stream Summary, that use the vsg_label slot to use the new string slot.

In the mean time, if you are just starting to capture Value Streams/Stages, feel free to manually create a new slot on Value_Stage called vsg_value_stage_label and populate that with a simple string.

Thanks,

Jason