System to System Interface modelling

rwoof

I am looking to model simple application to application interfaces within Essential - is there a best practice guide that reflects also now the ability to record these as dependencies in the Application Editor? While the Application editor is very intuitive in simply dragging & dropping Source & Target systems, and showing the simple flow direction, when entering the data directly in Capture mode, and using the Static Architecture graphical modeler, the concept seems reversed , as is the direction of flow, indicating dependencies on supplying systems, rather than a logical flow. Similar, the Application Provider Usage to Application Provider Usage screen showing the APU-TO APU-STATIC-RELATION class also is confusing, but not showing the 2 interfaced applications as Source and Target , as in the Application View, but reversed. Perhaps I am confused, but is there a simpler guide to recording interfaces - i.e. build on the Application Editor facility, but then quickly drill into the connection and add Info Relationships etc in the editor?
Interfaces are a key requirement from our architects. but modelling them seems very complex. Also, to be able to extract the data by Class to get a simple list of interfaces, that can be shared and sorted by application (receiver or sender) is a requirement , but the data in APU-TO-APU-STATIC-RELATION class doesn't show the From and To fields in the Class Extract view we have been using, as supplied, to extract raw class data. Can you advise how to easily where to simply query a list of interfaces!

Will welcome any best practice pointers.
Thanks
Rob
JohnM

Hi Rob,

You are right the graphical Editor in Essential EDM models dependencies, i.e. App B depends on App A, whereas the new editor is showing flow of data, App A sends data to App B, which most people find more intuitive.

Launchpad does has a worksheet that allows high-level data being passed to be captured, and we do have a task to extend the editor to allow data to be captured on the flow on our stack (the new editor will eventually replace the need for the EDM graphical editor for commercial users)

John
rwoof

Thanks John. I have amended some of the screen labels in the classes to make them more intuitive as a short term measure. The new editor would be great
rwoof

Hi John

Just following up. I would like to extract a simple list of interfaces for analysis / reporting. When I run the Launchpad extractor, it doesn't populate the Application Dependencies tab (leave it blank, all other tabs OK).
I would like to extract the class data, as I do for other classes, using the Class Extract View you supplied us (which is great). However, when trying to extra the data from the Application Provider Usage to Application Provide Usage class (which I think is class :APU-APU-STATIC RELATION), the critical data such as :FROM, :TO and :relation_description don't appear in this class in the extract. Are they some kind of special fields?
Can you advise how I can find these in the metamodel and extract from the right class?
I want to use the extract of APU-APU-STATIC-RELATION, with the infoproviders, but with the From & To applications as well to create analyses of the interfaces by application for our PowerBI dashboards.

If you can explain how to get these fields from the metamodel , that would be great

Cheers
Rob
JohnM

Hi Rob,

Apologies, I missed this, let me have a look and come back to you on this.

John
rwoof

Thanks John - I think its a question of where to get the data in the metamodel, as the classes don't seem quite as 'standard' as the others.
JohnM

You are right, those slots are a different type. One of the team has had a look and the attached should work, all slots should be returned for every instance.
class_export.xsl 2.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rwoof

Thanks John, I will download and check early next week and let you know.

Thanks again for the support
Cheers
Rob
rwoof

Thanks John- this works fine now. The link back to the application is via a couple of other classes, but the extract works fine

Cheers
Rob
enrico.may

JohnM wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 16:52 Hi Rob,

You are right the graphical Editor in Essential EDM models dependencies, i.e. App B depends on App A, whereas the new editor is showing flow of data, App A sends data to App B, which most people find more intuitive.

Launchpad does has a worksheet that allows high-level data being passed to be captured, and we do have a task to extend the editor to allow data to be captured on the flow on our stack (the new editor will eventually replace the need for the EDM graphical editor for commercial users)

John
Hi John,

I am currently faced with the task to capture all data flows between applications within our company. While the underlying meta model is quite complicated, the new editor sounds to be the perfect fit for us. Do you know when it will be released?

Enrico
JohnM

Hi Enrico,

The plan is Q4 this year. We'll keep you updated.

John
dkaradia

JohnM wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 19:54 Hi Enrico,

The plan is Q4 this year. We'll keep you updated.

John
Hi John, do you have any confirmed dates on this? thanks
Darren