Business Process Hierarchy

rwoof

Hi

As well as a hierarchical Business Capability Model (which we have represented well in Essential), we have a hierarchical Business Process Model, where we map application services to the Level 3. However we usually show the model as a hierarchy L1--> L2--> L3, and want to see L3 processes grouped together in L2 and the all L2s in L1 etc.

Can we do this in Essential? I cant see a parent process feature against a business process - would business process family work, and if so, does that only allow 1 level of Grouping?

Thanks
Rob
JohnM

Hi,

In the 6.5 meta model there is a slot on Business Process, bp_sub_business_processes which can be of type Business Process or Business Activity. It goes from parent to child in one direction, so the child process doesn't have awareness of its parent(s). This allows you to have your hierarchy of processes.
rwoof

Thanks John. I have added some data into this relationship, but I cant see it represented or used in any Views - is there any usage of the field/relationship in any View or catalogue to allow selection or drill down from a 'parent' BP to the 'children'.
Thanks
Rob
JohnM

Hi sorry for the delay, the answer is not currently but we could probably add it to a BP summary quite quickly. Let me know if that would help and we'll stick it on the stack
rwoof

Thanks John, that would be helpful on a BP summary view - to allow a drilldown from a parent BP, so if it could go in the non-urgent backlog, that would be useful