How to show Supporting Technology information

FrancoisP

Hi,

We have just started using the essential project tool and are struggling to find the right way to show the required information. The use case we want to accomplish is to basically link an application to its technology components in order to understand the pieces making the application. For example, we have an application that requires WebSphere v7, IHS v9 and Oracle 11g. I would like to be able to start from the Application catalog and from there find the required components and have the ability to click on them to know their current lifecycle status and if they are aligned with the target architecture or not. I found this link https://www.enterprise-architecture.org ... mmary.html which I thought explained exactly what I wanted to achieve but even after following every step described in the video I still cannot see the
Supporting Technology Builds nor the Supporting Technology section found in the Application Provider Summary page. Is there more information (e.g. mandatory fields that have to be filled to accomplish my use case or other type of documentation) available that can show me what I do wrong. Because, based on the video, I should be able to see a diagram under Supporting Technology Builds from the Application Provider Summary.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

- Francois
JohnM

Hi Francois,

Can i just check, is this the type of view you are looking for https://essentialviewer.com/demo/report ... s&cl=en-gb

This is the app tech alignment view and links the technology an app uses. These also shows in the tech build of app summary.

The easier way to do this is to load this is from the Launchpad 'App to Tech' spreadsheet if you have that. Otherwise, we have the meta model documented on the 'how to' page https://enterprise-architecture.org/howto.php look for 'Application Technology Strategy Alignment' and also we are writing some detailed instructions for each view, I'll ask for this to be a priority.

John
FrancoisP

Hi John,

Thank you for the information. I followed the how-to and it worked. :)

But now the issue is with the picture of the components itself. We have an application that requires many components and for some reasons, some of the components are not visible from the web page. I tried not linking them or change the layout without success. So I was wondering if there is something I do wrong.

Thank you,

- Francois
JohnM

Any chance you could post a screenshot please (blur out any sensitive content)?.

John

PS for anyone following this thread the steps are:

Application Technology Strategy Alignment
1. Create or select an application
2. Find the Physical Deployment slot
3. Create a new Application_Deployment
4. Find the Application Deployment Role slot and select ‘Production’
5. Find the Application Deployment Technical Architecture slot
6. Create a Technology_Product_Build
7. Find the Technology Provider Architecture slot
8. Create and new Technology_Provider_Architecture
9. Drag a Technology_Provider onto the diagram
10. Double click it and a Technology_Provider_Usage will open
11. Add a Display Label
12. In the Provider As Role slot either select an existing one or create a new Technology_Provider_Role
13. Repeat this for all your products
14. Now create a relationship between products to show that a product depends on another
15. Publish and you will see the Application Technology Architecture. If it is empty, just check step 4 is done
FrancoisP

Hi John,

Here is a picture of what I see when using Chrome browser. Also, it is worth noting that I couldn't scroll right to see the missing part of the image.

Again, thank you for your precious help.

Sincerely,

- Francois
TechnologyStrategyAlignment.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnM

Hi Francois,

This is fixed in the latest viewer, you can download that here https://github.com/essentialproject/essential_viewer. The latest version tries to fit to page and also has a zoom button.

You'll see an example here https://essentialviewer.com/demo/report ... s&cl=en-gb

You can either do a pull from Git or download the file as a zip and copy the files across to your viewer environment.

Any problems then let us know

John
FrancoisP

Thank you John for the update, we will get the latest viewer and let you know how it goes.

Also, I saw in your example that you had two statuses - Lifecycle Status & Standard Level - assigned to your components and was wondering how to assign these. I can set the Lifecycle status but cannot set the Standard Level thus do you have an idea how I could setup the Standard Level.

Finally, we would like to set a date at which the support stops for a specific component. Is there a place where I can set it?

Thank you again for your help.

Sincerely,

- Francois
JohnM

The standards for this view are defined under EA_Support > Standards_Management > Technology_Standards_Management > Technology_Provider_Standard_Specification

Select the Technology Provider Role, e.g. MongoDB as a NoSQL Database, and assign a standard strength.

Note that Launchpad Plus has a spreadsheet in technology reference that allows you to capture these.

For support dates, that is about setting the vendor lifecycle dates. There is a view in Labs that uses this called Technology Lifecycle Management and we're looking to push this into the next release with a spreadsheet loader to go with it. Basically, create a Lifecycle Model and associate it with the product, add statuses to the model and associate a start date with each. The end of life status will show when the product is out of support, plus the view in Labs tells you which applications are at risk as they utilise the technology.

Hope that helps
FrancoisP

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your help, it worked.

Regards,

- Francois