Managing vendor product lifecycles

Eternus

Hi all,

This may be very simple to do in Essential, but I can't work out how to make it happen.

On a basic level, as I would like to be able to manage support windows automatically and ultimately be able to report on them.

For example, if I am currently using Widget 1.0, I would like to be able to associate a general support period of 1/Jan/2018 to 31/Dec/2019 and possibly an extended support period of 1/Jan/2020 to 31/Dec/2020. My view is that if I could report on this detail, I could create a view that would show me a 12 month lead on those services that I need to start a project to look at reviewing Widget 2.0 or possible alternatives, as well as easily identifying the applications that are dependant on the current version and will be effected by an upgrade. If I know the applications and subsequently the stakeholders that need to be involved, I can start to properly manage my vendor life-cycles...

Is this at all possible, if not out-of-the-box, maybe with some development?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Regards,
Campbell
JohnM

Hi Campbell,

We're part way through a view that will help with this:
Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.04.58.png
. If you want to build a view, the classes used are application_provider/technology_product --> supplier, license, license_type and compliance_obligation, OBLIGATION_COMPONENT_RELATION you then tie the lifecycle model to the obligation
relations are:
application_provider/technology_product --> supplier,
license --> compliance_obligation and to license_type
compliance_obligation --> app or tech via OBLIGATION_COMPONENT_RELATION
Lifecycle_model --> compliance_obligation

In the Lifecycle_model you use the TO date on the lifecycle model relationship to determine dates.

However, it's actually raised a question about the modelling for this and we're going to simplify it by adding license_start_date (type String) and license_months_to_renewal (type Integer) slots to the License class, this will remove the need for the lifecycle_model, which we think is overkill in this instance. It will hopefully be in the next release. We'll post the meta model change and view to Labs for any early adopters, the current view needs a minor code change and we need to write the EUP to update the meta model, so hopefully shortly. Let us know if the view above works and what else (additional views or changes to the attached) you'd like to see, and we'll look to push those in if we can

Hope that helps

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnM

Quick update on this. I mentioned that we were going simplify the model slightly. We've done that and the EUP is attached, it will be in the next release. You don't need the lifecycle model step described in the process above, but instead use the License Start Date (using ISO dates - yyyy-mm-dd) and Months to Renewal slots added to the License class by this EUP.

If you want to apply the change early then unzip it and in Essential Cloud use Config> System Administration > Essential Update and in Essential OS use the Essential Update Tab.

We'll have the supplier licence view shown above in labs shortly, so keep an eye on Labs in the next couple of weeks for that. We're also hoping to push up a new vendor lifecycle view with it too.

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnM

The supplier license view mentioned above is available in Labs now, see https://enterprise-architecture.org/essential_labs.php

John