Business Capability / Reference Model (Relationship)

SNutulap

Video on business reference model (https://www.enterprise-architecture.org/videos.php) along with a diagram showing the components involved is very helpful. Thank you for that. :D

Can you please help me understand the following
1. If I chose Role as Manage / Back, I don't see child capabilities. For "Front" I see them.
2. I see only one level of children. My need is to show entire capability hierarchy (I guess it is 5 levels for now)

Are these restrictions in open source OR defects?
JohnM

No, it's not a restriction or a defect, it's just the way the view is coded.

For back office [back] and management [manage] capabilities we decided to only show 2 levels. It was feedback from clients that the view becomes quite large and unreadable for management if you include all capabilities, so the preferred option was to show detail only for the key areas of differentiation, which is usually in the front office [front] section.

If you look at the code for the front section, you should be able to amend the others to use the same logic and show all capabilities for each level.

As an aside, we're actually working on a rejig of how we capture this view to allow top, middle, bottom, left and right instead of front, middle and back, it should be available in the next few months. Keep an eye on Labs.

John
PrasannaT

Hi John,

I have just started using Essential OS Launchpad to populate Business Reference Model view. I would like to show 3 levels for Manage and Back as well. Could you help me with the code snippet that needs to be changed?

Regards,
Prasanna
JohnM wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 09:02 No, it's not a restriction or a defect, it's just the way the view is coded.

For back office [back] and management [manage] capabilities we decided to only show 2 levels. It was feedback from clients that the view becomes quite large and unreadable for management if you include all capabilities, so the preferred option was to show detail only for the key areas of differentiation, which is usually in the front office [front] section.

If you look at the code for the front section, you should be able to amend the others to use the same logic and show all capabilities for each level.

As an aside, we're actually working on a rejig of how we capture this view to allow top, middle, bottom, left and right instead of front, middle and back, it should be available in the next few months. Keep an eye on Labs.

John
JohnM

Hi,

change PrintGrandChildFrontCap to PrintChildFrontCap

In row 686 of the brm view template:
<xsl:apply-templates mode="PrintChildFrontCap" select="$childCaps">
<xsl:sort select="own_slot_value[slot_reference = 'business_capability_index']/value" data-type="number"/>
</xsl:apply-templates>

You will get chevrons, so you could duplicate the PrintChildFrontCap template, rename it and change the formatting (edit where it says <xsl:variable name="chevronDivStyle"> ) to say just a rectangle for the Manage and Back areas and call the new template in row 686, set mode="MyPrintFrontCapTEMPLATE"

Hope that helps

Note the same pattern applies in application/core_al_bus_cap_support.xsl although there are two template to change this in (Manage and Back templates)
PrasannaT

Thanks John, this helps.

Cheers.
JohnM wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 10:28 Hi,

change PrintGrandChildFrontCap to PrintChildFrontCap

In row 686 of the brm view template:
<xsl:apply-templates mode="PrintChildFrontCap" select="$childCaps">
<xsl:sort select="own_slot_value[slot_reference = 'business_capability_index']/value" data-type="number"/>
</xsl:apply-templates>

You will get chevrons, so you could duplicate the PrintChildFrontCap template, rename it and change the formatting (edit where it says <xsl:variable name="chevronDivStyle"> ) to say just a rectangle for the Manage and Back areas and call the new template in row 686, set mode="MyPrintFrontCapTEMPLATE"

Hope that helps

Note the same pattern applies in application/core_al_bus_cap_support.xsl although there are two template to change this in (Manage and Back templates)