essential_baseline_v6 missing Skills_Management

mdpremkumar

Hi,

It looks like essential_basline_v6 project is missing EA_Class -> EA_Support -> Skills_Management
If a user performing fresh installation of Essential Architecture and likes to use that empty project as the base for capturing architecture, I think this piece will be missing.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.
Prem
JohnM

Hi Prem,

We've created a class called Resource Optimisation instead, which is much richer and broader in what it can support regarding both resources and skills. See EA_Class -> EA_Support -> Resource_Optimisation

The concrete classes that were beneath Skills Management are still available but under the new class. As Skills Management was only an abstract class and the concrete classes remain then any views created will still work.

I hope that helps.

John
mdpremkumar

Hi John,

Thank you so much for explaining about the changes.

After applying upgrade pack version 6, I also find the concrete classes namely Skill and Skill_Certification under Skill_Management abstract class (Not sure if I have done something wrong).

Will the upgrade pack normally take care of the following?
  • Moving the classes under Skill_Management with instances to Resource_Optimisation class
  • Perform cleanup of Skill_Management abstract class
Thanks.
Cheers,
Prem
jonathan.carter

Hi Prem,

Thanks for posting back.

Could you tell me which version of the meta model you were using before you ran the upgrade to version 6? If you open your repository in Protege and navigate to EA_Class -> About_Essential -> Meta_Model_Version, you'll see an instance that describes your current version.

The extension of the Skills Management area was made as part of the Essential Meta Model v5, that was released early 2016. If you were working with a v4 meta model, you should first upgrade to version 5 and then apply the version 6.0 upgrade to make sure that you have got all the relevant changes.

The version 5.0 upgrade pack (upgrading from version 4.3.1 to version 5) will rename "Skills Management" to "Resource Optimisation" and re-organise the Skills Management classes in this newly-named class. See screenshot below for the version 6 meta model structure.

You can find a copy of the version 4.3.1 to version 5.0.5 upgrade pack to download here.
Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 11.37.23.png
Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Essential Project Team
mdpremkumar

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you so much for replying.

Couple of months back, we have upgrade from Meta model 4.0 to 5.0.5.
We downloaded 4.3.1 to 5.0.5 upgrade pack and performed the upgrade.
After this process only, upgrade to v6.0 has been done.

For your kind reference, I have attached screen shot about applied updates.
As you have said, Resource_Optimisation has been created properly.
But Skills_Management section also exist.

if this will not create any problems, then that's fine.
Otherwise can we remove this using a script?
Please suggest.

Thanks.
Prem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonathan.carter

Thanks very much for the update.

That is not quite what I would expect to see after an upgrade. We use the upgrade packs ourselves in order to build each new ‘baseline’ release of the repository.

Your Resource_Optimisation section looks like it has upgraded correctly but the “Skills_Management” section should have been removed as part of the version 4.3.1 to 5.0.5 upgrade. In fact, what that pack does is rename Skills_Management to Resource_Optimisation.

To help us better understand what might have happened, if you go to the Project menu and select “Configure” and from the list that appears, select the “ClsesTab”. This Classes Tab gives us all the information about the class. At the bottom, left hand side of the tab, you’ll see the Superclasses property. In my repository, that’s only showing Resource_Optimisation.
Select each of the “Skill” classes that you have one at a time - the one in the Resource_Optimisation and the one in the Skills_Management class.
Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 14.44.15.png
In the Superclasses panel, do you see both Resource_Optimisation and Skills_Management for “Skill”? If so, check that this is also the case for “Skill_Certification” and if both of these have the two superclasses, you can remove Skills_Management from each using the ‘O-‘ button on the Superclasses panel and then delete the Skills_Management class.

However, if each Skill class has different superclasses, then - provided you do not have any instance of the Skill and Skill_Certification classes in the Skills_Management section you can delete each of these 3 classes, leaving you with the correct classes in Resource_Optimisation. However, do NOT delete these classes until you are sure that you are not in the first scenario, above.

Regards

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
mdpremkumar

HI Jonathan,

Thank you very much for the clear explanation.

As you have said, the classes namely Skill and Skill_Certification under Resource_Optimisation had both Resource_Optimisation and Skills_Management as super classes. I cleaned up the classes as you have suggested.

Thank you once again for your great support.

Cheers,
Prem