Strategic roadmap demo report looks different than the actual report

mdpremkumar

Hi,

Recently an upgrade of Essential Architecture Manager has been done in our environment using the latest 5.0.7 release. Now we are trying to build a strategic roadmap.

We noticed that the enterprise strategic roadmap report available in essential viewer demo link looks more enhanced than the one available with the actual installation pack.

Here is the demo link.
https://essentialviewer.com/demo/report ... n&cl=en-gb

Please note that the XSL which is being used by demo version is enterprise/core_el_strategic_roadmap2.xsl

But, with the actual installation pack we have the XSL namely enterprise/core_el_strategic_roadmap.xsl

May I know why there is such a difference and are there any possibilities of getting this new report?

Also if there are any references to manuals that provide best practices for building strategic roadmaps, request to share the links.

Thanks.
Prem
JohnM

Hi Prem,

Can you try changing the name of the xsl file on the link in your installation by adding a 2 to the end of it. That will tell us whether you have the file or not (it should be there). If it is there then you need to go into the repository and navigate to EA Support > Essential Viewer > Report find 'Core:Strategic Roadmap' and change the report xsl name to be the correct one.

If it isn't there then you can either upgrade to Version 6 or let us know and we'll drop the file here.

Regarding best practice in roadmaps, the primary advice we'd give is focus on value. It's very easy to create a roadmap that models the ideal state but in reality you are constrained by things like budget, timelines, resources, etc. Showing the business or management a pretty roadmap that isn't achievable will only lead to people questioning the value of what you are doing. So, focus on what is achievable and what will deliver the best value, given the constraints. That's a starting point for you - there's probably a much longer blog on the topic that we should write sometime.

Hope that helps

John
mdpremkumar

Hi John,

Thanks for your quick response.

As you have suggested, I changed XSL name and getting "java.io.FileNotFoundException".
I also checked the folder "webapps\essential_viewer\enterprise" under tomcat installation path. But I didn't find that file.

It would be great if that file is dropped here.

Thank you also for your suggestions on the best practices on designing a roadmap.

Cheers,
Prem
mdpremkumar

Hi John,

I upgraded dev environment to version 6.
Now I am able to see core_el_strategic_roadmap2.xsl
I think for now there is no need to drop XSL file.

Thank you for your support.

Cheers,
Prem