Application / Capability modeling

AndrewJones

Hi, total newbie here with all of 2 days worth of Playing.

Trying to get a quick win using Essential for a Application Rationalisation Project before building out the meta-model further.

I have an excel spreadsheet which maps applications to business Capabilities ( at 2 levels) and I would like to get them up and running into the Viewer to get the Application Reference Model View working.

So Far I have Created an Org Structure, Imported my capbilities twice ( once as Business capability then again as Application Capabilities) and uploaded by application as application providers.

what are my next steps with the data to link App providers to Capbilities ( of either sort)
and
what else do I need to complete to get the Application Reference Model to show my apps against those capabilities ( and remove default Performance Reporting, Performance Managment, customer Service, Investment mgmt, Billing & Finance mgmt groups)

Any guidance would be much appreciated
JohnM

Hi,

There are two ways to do this, via the processes or via the application capabilities, but based on what you've said here I'll focus on the application route.

To see which apps support which business capabilities, you need to create a relationship from the Bus Capabilities, to App Capabilities to App Service to App Provider.

To get the App ref model working you use the App Caps and App services. You need to classify the App Caps against the categories in the Application Capability Category Taxonomy. Do this in the Classified As slot.

Make sure the capabilities you want to not show on the view aren't classified.

That should work
AndrewJones

thanks for the quick response.

I have now mapped
Business cap to App cap
App Cap to App Services
App Service to App provider.

The App Services have all been classifed as "App Cap Layer - Core" taxonomy

I still cant get them to show in the ARM Model.
the report loads with the 6 green categories of Performance Reporting, Performance Managment, Customer Service, Investment Management, Billing & Finance. but nothing overlayed.

I can't even find the the MetaModel where those 6 categories are being taken from as they are not part of my Capability model.
JohnM

Hi Andrew,

Can you try and classify the App capabilities, not the App services please. Let us know if that works.

John