How to model for Strategic Goals

Rick.Allen

To all,

I seem to be missing something as I attempt to use the Strategic Goals catalogue.

My goals are listed however, no Business Objectives, Driver, Org Unit, Measure / KPI.

The associated report Business Objectives Catalogue is fully populated.

I cannot seem to find a meta-model document explaining the relationships.

Thank you for any assistance.

Regards, Rick
Rick Allen
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Analyst
Hamilton Police Services, Ontario, Canada
neil.walsh

Hi Rick,

I'm not in front of my machine right now but if I recall you need to classsify the business objectives as a strategic goal using the element classified as slot.

I'll try and validate this tomorrow.

Cheers

Neil

Sent from my mobile
neil.walsh

Hi,

Just a quick follow up to say I've checked this and the view requires the relevant objectives to be classified as "strategic goals" and the objectives as "smart objectives".

The measures / KPIs are modelled as service qualities.

Interestingly, I noticed this view hadn't been classified as a Business view and doesn't show up in the out of the box Viewer. We'll correct that in the next release (due soon).

Cheers

Neil
Rick.Allen

Neil, classifying an objective as "Smart Objective" completed the relationship.

Thank you. Rick
Rick Allen
Rick.Allen

Neil,

In an associated topic: When printing the Business Performance Model, it would be much clearer if the Objective Type was listed.

Currently I see Strategic Goals, Smart Objectives, Company Objectives mixed together without any visual way to separate the types.

Unfortunately, I am not very good with XSL to make necessary modifications.

Regards, Rick
Rick Allen
jonathan.carter

Hi Rick,

Assuming that what you’re looking for is an additional column on the table that shows the Objective Type, 2 changes to the file : business/core_bl_bus_perf_model.xsl are required.

First, in the template, BusinessObjectivesCatalogue, at around line 210, you need to create the new column for the Objective Type in the header and then again in the footer, e.g. as an extra column to the right.

Code: Select all

<th>

<xsl:value-of select="eas:i18n(‘Objective Type’)”/>

</th>
Then we need to update the BusinessObjective template to add the actual value, into the column that we added in the headers / footers (e.g. at the end of the existing set). What we’re looking for is a Taxonomy Term that is classifying the Business Objective in focus, and we can use a utility template to render this, RenderObjectiveTaxonomyTerm, iterating over every “Objective Type” as follows:

At around line 319…

Code: Select all

<!-- Print out the list of objective types for the in-focus business objective -->

<td>

<xsl:variable name="aTaxonomy" select="own_slot_value[slot_reference='element_classified_by']/value"></xsl:variable>

<xsl:for-each select="$aTaxonomy">

<ul>

<xsl:apply-templates select="current()" mode="RenderObjectiveTaxonomyTerm"/>

</ul>

</xsl:for-each>

</td>

I haven’t had a chance to test this in any way but hopefully this will get you started.

Do let us know if you would like further help with this.

Regards

Jonathan
Essential Project Team