Meta-Model diagrams Download

agcunha

Hello everybody!

Can you help me to find downloads of meta-model diagrams (business, info, app and tech) in High Resolution?

I can read the diagrams in the PNG available on Essential website.

Tks,
Anderson
jonathan.carter

Hi,

We have used a UML modelling tool (ArgoUML) to produce those diagrams that you refer to but we do not currently have a complete coverage of the entire meta model in UML. A single diagram of all the classes and relationships would be too complex to be of any use.

Rather, the approach that we have taken is to export the repository from within Protege as an XMI model, which can then be imported into any XMI / UML tool. What this gives you is the complete set of class definitions. All you need to do is to define the diagrams that meet your requirements and you can do this by simply dragging classes from the palette onto the diagram. All of the relationships should then automatically appear.

This gives you a neat approach for selecting the scope of the diagram in terms of the classes that you are interested in. Of course, you can drag more classes on to the diagram to see what effect that has or how they are related. Watch out for the relationship classes, however. When these are used, you will need to drag that class onto the diagram too, to make sure that things join up.

A full HTML-based documentation of the meta model (which would help a lot for helping you to select the classes for your diagrams) is available here: Essential Meta Model Documentation

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
colinfrewen

Hi Jonathan

You post jogged my memory and I decided to do a uml model update, however, on xmi export (using xmi backend) the import failed to load into ArgoUML or Altovo.

Have you tried this sonce the update. I know I had issues with the version 1.2 last time but this export gave a number of slot errors.

Just wondered if you have done this recently...

Colin
jonathan.carter

Hi Colin,

I have done one reasonably recently but just to check I've done it again now. All worked fine exporting using the File->Export to Format... and then selecting UML 1.4

I was then able to open this in ArgoUML v0.30.2 and drag classes onto a new class diagram.

What kind of slot errors are you seeing? Is this during the generation of the XMI document or when you attempt to open it in your UML tool. Note that I had to use File->Import XMI... in Argo to bring in the XMI export.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
colinfrewen

Hi Jonathan

I tried it again and got it into an XMI model. Not sure what was going on, gremlin maybe.

Argo worked fine and I have access to a large plotter so all good. Pity the XMI version is so old (1.2 UML 1.4), but having said that Argo does everything we really need.

We also have an extensive drill though version we built manually in Visio and we use this version as validation. I think this approach helps with understanding the linkages between the layers.

I have also developed a hybrid view we use as a definition in the import workbooks. This gives us a minimal viable product view based on our core 28 reports.

Thanks for the response
Colin
jonathan.carter

Glad to hear you got that going.

It's an old UML but it works for showing what the classes are and how they relate.

Sounds interesting what you've been doing with this - good for sharing and explaining how the meta model is working to a wider audience. How wide is your audience for that kind of meta model documentation? Architects? Wider?

Jonathan
Essential Project Team