Information Concept Hierarchy

cjasti

Jonathan,
I am trying to add hierarchy to the information concept.

For example:
Asset is parent of Test1Asset and Test2Asset.
Test1Asset is parent of Test3Asset.
I would like to model these information concepts in the following way:
Asset
Asset::Test1Asset
Asset::Test2Asset
Asset::Test1Asset::Test3Asset
I am looking for documentation help to configure this “Information Concept” form using "AutoTextWidget"
I would appreciate any pointers.
Thanks
jonathan.carter

Just to let you know, we are about to release a major update to the Information layer which includes more explicit support for Data as well as Information.

Normally, we use the 'Related Information Concepts' to define conceptual level dependencies between Information Concepts. I'm assuming that this is the relationship that you are using to build the hierarchy? I'd just like to check that this is a level-of-detail (or containment) hierarchy rather than an abstraction / type of hierarchy. If it's the latter, (abstraction) that hierarchy is captured using Information Views that are a 'type of' Information Concept.

Anyway, to use the AutoText, go to the Forms tab (enable it via Project->Configure in Protege) and select the Information Concept class in the class browser on the Forms Tab. Then select the Name slot and select the widget type to be 'AutoText Widget'. Then double click on the Name slot and a configuration panel will pop up. Select the AutoText Configuration within this panel and then define the auto text pattern using the fields on the configuration.

For more details, select Help->Plugins->Essential Architecture Reporting Tab and scroll down to the section on the AutoText Widget.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
cjasti

When are you releasing the update for information layer?
Thanks for your help to use AutoText.
cjasti

Can I get beta version of the new release if it is available?
jonathan.carter

The pack isn't quite ready for releasing. We've tested it extensively but haven't finished packaging it up as it consists of both a meta model update and a set of new Views. This makes it a bit messy to release and to install.

We expect to have this ready in a matter of days, though. If it's of interest, we could release the update and views ahead of publishing the documentation for it.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
cjasti

I would like to get the update before the release. Please let me know when it is available.
cjasti

Jonathan,
Is update for information model available for beta testing?
Jasti
jonathan.carter

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

In packaging up the Views for the Information and Data pack, we've identified a few more things that need to be completed.

In terms of a beta, would it be any use to see the meta model update - that is the Protege end of things - without the Views?
The only thing with that is that you wouldn't have any examples of the power of the out-of-the-box Views available or get an idea of the potential for your own Views.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

Just a quick post to let you know that the Information and Data Pack was released on Friday.
You can download it from the Essential Meta Model Extensions section of the Share area.

More details to follow soon but full release notes and install guide are available now.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team