Essential Sample Repository

jason.powell

A number of early users of the tools have suggested that a sample repository should be provided as part of the download pack to help with the learning process. This is something that we were always keen to do, but thought that we should get input from the community first.

One idea was to take a thin slice through the Essential Meta-Model by modeling an EA team as the business organisation with Essential Architecture Manager as part of the supporting IT architecture. This would give us full coverage across the layers (business, application, information, technology) and views (conceptual, logical, physical). However, our main concern with this example scenario is that the subject matter might be a little esoteric.

Another approach would be to create a mock business organisation in a broader business domain, e.g. retail, logistics, banking, insurance. However, with this approach the challenge is that of choosing a business domain that would be understandable by as broad a group of people as possible.

Of course, there may be other alternatives that we have not considered and so we are asking you all for any ideas or suggestions that you may have.
mrkyle

An excellent suggestion and a much needed learning mechanism. We all realize that the best way to explain something is with an example - especially when the meta-model is so extensive.

I think a business example would be best. But, the domain is less important than the breadth of the example. Finance would be a good contender, but Acme Widgets would do.
sarah.smith

Thanks for your response. We are aiming to have the first release of the sample repository available this Friday and have, in fact, based it on a fictional financial services organisation. See Jason's blog for more information http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/blogs/.

Once it is available, if you have any suggestions for where it can be extended we would love to hear them.

Sarah
(Essential Project Team)
jason.powell

The first release of the sample Essential Project repository is now available and can be downloaded from the Share area of the main site.

As mentioned in the Essential Team Blog, this initial version was always intended to be a thin slice through the layers (and views) of an enterprise and so please bear in mind that this is just for starters.

We will continue to extend this sample and, as always, welcome feedback and suggestions from the Essential Project community so that we are focused on evolving the aspects of the model that are of greatest interest to our members.

Jason
(Essential Project Team)
Essential Project Team
aixsurfer

Hi, I've installed Protege and the Essential Modeller and I'd like to make my first steps in modelling by watching the demo videos on your website. But none of the sample repositories fit to the demo videos. Can you provide me the right repository?
Thanks in advance.
jonathan.carter

Hi,

The toolkit has moved on a bit since the videos were made (more are planned).
The sample repository, essential_sample_repository_v1.0 is closest to what you've seen in the videos. It uses the same fictitious Investment Management company as the scenario for the model.

Hope this helps

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
wolske

I remember running through the sample repository on a previous version of EAM, but it appears to be incompatible with EAM v3.

Is there another sample for v3, or is that something that the project team is working on?
jonathan.carter

A version 3 sample repository is now available to download

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

A quick update on this thread.

A new version of the sample repository that is configured for Essential Viewer 4 is now available to download from the Share area.

It is bit light in the technology end, still but it provides some good examples of how to model and how some of the Views look.

More to come in due course!

Jonathan
Essential Project Team