Issue installing with MySQL

gregor

Hi,

I'm installing Essential Project 4 on MySQL 5.6 and having problems with setting this up on the DB. I've gone through the installation instructions and all is well until I get to the "convert project to format" stage. Clearly the DB connection is working as the table gets created in my schema, however no data is added and I get the error message below:

1. Errors at copying knowledgebase jdbc:mysql://localhost/essential
Exception class com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException. Message: Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes

See console and log for more details

An extract from the log does not shed any more light for me
2013.09.27 20:30:17.953 BST INFO: Creating database indicies: -- DefaultDatabaseFrameDb.createIndices()
2013.09.27 20:30:18.875 BST WARNING: Failed to create table on database MySQL with command 'CREATE TABLE essentialRepository1 (frame VARBINARY(310) NOT NULL, frame_type SMALLINT NOT NULL, slot VARBINARY(310) NOT NULL, facet VARBINARY(310) NOT NULL, is_template BIT NOT NULL, value_index INT NOT NULL, value_type SMALLINT NOT NULL, short_value VARCHAR(310) COLLATE utf8_general_ci, long_value MEDIUMTEXT) ENGINE = INNODB DEFAULT CHARACTER SET 'utf8'' :Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes -- DefaultDatabaseFrameDb.createTable()
2013.09.27 20:30:18.937 BST WARNING: Errors at copying knowledgebase jdbc:mysql://localhost/essential -- com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Specified key was too long; max key length is 767 bytes

Has anyone hit this before? Have I missed something in my config somewhere?

Thanks
neil.walsh

Hi,

Thanks for the log details.

Can you tell me a bit more about your setup?

We have heard reports of some people having difficulty with MySQL6 (though I understand it's worked fine for others). You may wish to try giving MySQL v5.5 a go.

Which versions of Windows, Protege, MySQL are you using?
Which JDBC driver are you using?

Let us know and we'll investigate.

Cheers

Neil
gregor

Hi,

Thanks for the response, sorry I've not updated sooner as I didn't get a chance until now to look at it.
I was using Windows XP, Protege 3.4.8, MySQL 6 and JDBC driver 5.1.26. I changed to use MySQL V5.5 as per your advice, this did the trick and worked no problem. Up and running :D , thanks again!

Cheers

Gregor
jonathan.carter

Following up on this request, we have found the answer to making Protege work with MySQL 5.6+

What is the issue?
It turns out that the problem is to do with the length (in bytes) of the short_value column. By default, this is set to VARCHAR(310) for MySQL databases. The answer is to set this to 255 (the limit for UTF-8 text columns when they are used in indexes). The beauty of Protege is that we can do this without having to make any code changes - just by setting two properties in the Protege.properties file.
  • Go to File -> Preferences and go to the ‘protege.properties’
  • Create a new property called: Database.type.varchar.maxsize.com.mysql.jdbc.Driver and set the value to 255
  • Create another new property called: Database.typename.short.value.type.com.mysql.jdbc.Driver and set that value to VARCHAR(255)
Messages Image(477548483).png
Now, when you perform the Convert to Protege Database, the short_value column will be adjusted and the project will save in to a MySQL 5.6+ table

Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Essential Project Team
seldont

Had the same problem with mariadb - Getting : 'Specified key is too long'.

Alternate solution is to create the database using latin1 rather than utf8
i.e.

create database if not exists <dbname> character set = 'latin1';
select * from information_schema.schemata;