Install Integration tab on Mac OS X?

pstawski

Hi,

I've tried to install the Integration Tab on my Mac with Protege 3. However, I can't point the installation to the folder where the install is. Auto discover fails as well.

If I go to the Applications folder, I cannot browse below that in the installer. Any idea what's going on?

Paul Stawski
jonathan.carter

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post. 
I've just had a look at this on my Mac and have some suggestions. 

Firstly, I will update the installer so that it also tries to Auto Detect the latest versions of Protege. The installer didn't detect my Protege 3.4.4 but should pick up 3.4 - 3.4.3

However, this wasn't a show stopper, I used the browse to locate the 3.4.4 version and all was well. There are a couple of things that I noticed that might be causing trouble. 

First, you mention that you can't navigate into the Applications folder. When you first click browse, the installer seems to lookin your LOCAL Applications folder, e.g. /Users/Paul/Applications 
Most likely this doesn't have anything or much in it and note that Protege is installed in the top level Applications folder, /Applications

This is a feature of the way the installer toolkit we're using works on Mac. Another feature is the way it selects folders to install to, which is the next potential solution to what you're finding. 
To select the folder, click Browse and navigate to /Applications in the file selection panel that appears. Scroll down and click on your Protege folder, e.g. in my case 'Protege_3.4.4'. Do NOT double click - just select the Protege folder and click Choose. Note that the installer checks that there is an install of Protege in the selected folder. If not, the Choose button will be disabled. 

Once I'd done the above, I could select my Protege 3.4.4 installation and install the tab. You'll also be asked for a folder in which to install some sample files that you'll probably want. 

I've updated the installer to Auto Detect Protege 3.4.4 but it'll be Wednesday before I can upload it to the site. Apologies. 
Hopefully, the above suggestions should get the tab installed without the need to wait for the updated installer. 

Let me know how you get on

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

Just to let you know that I've uploaded the revised installer that will now auto-detect Protege 3.4.4 installations.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
pstawski

Hi Jonathan,

That did the trick! It now autodetected the folder Protege was in. I am indeed using 3.4.3, so that was probably the cause.

Thanks for your help,
Paul
pquodling

I believe I am seeing a similar problem.

TO start with I had Protege 4.x installed. Your documentation says this works with 3.4? and above. It should say something like all variants of 3.x above x but not with 4.y.

I had problems selection the tomcat director. I have installed tomcat in the system wide. /usr/local. An autodetect didn't work, until I browse to /usr/local/tomcat6 and autodetect, and it seems happy with that... Is this the most appropriate place

I then next step through steps 6,7,8,9 and get an error i step 10 - /usr/local/tomcat6/webapps/essential_viewer.war (Permission denied)

OK, chmod o+x webapps fixes that, but is this the right place etc...
jonathan.carter

Hi,

I will update the pre-requisites to make them clearer. Essential Architecture Manager requires Protege 3.x and does not support Protege 4.x, as you rightly say. Thanks for pointing this out.

Just for background, Protege 4.x is a rather different platform at the moment, and is a branch off from the development activities in Protege that only supports OWL-based ontologies. For good reasons that I've explored in a recent blog article, Essential Architecture Manager uses a frames-based ontology, which is supported by the Protege 3.4.x platforms. I suspect that Protege 4.x will include the Frames and multi-user support in the future and gives us an idea of what future Protege versions will look like.

I think on the Tomcat side, the installer is trying to make sure that we are putting the WAR file for Essential Viewer in a valid location and is looking for the 'webapps' folder. In cases where people need to use alternative Application Servers, this will cause problems and I think it might be best for us to remove this validation from the installer.

For Tomcat, the webapps folder underneath is absolutely the right place to install Web Applications (via their WAR files). However, on a Mac, I don't think I would install Tomcat in /usr/local. Rather something like /Applications/tomcat6 or even /Users/<your username>/Applications/tomcat6

I suspect that the reason that step 10 failed with a permission denied because you have Tomcat in /usr/local.

I have Tomcat running on a Mac and I have it installed in my home folder Tomcat doesn't really mind where it's installed, but I think OS X will have the lower level system files, e.g. /usr, more locked down to preserve the system stability. I would also suggest that if you're deploying to a Mac Server, Tomcat should probably be in the /Applications or something similar, rather than /usr

Hope this helps - and thanks for the feedback on the pre-requisites

Jonathan
Essential Project Team