Folder Hidden? in Program Files

david_chasteen

After installation, I am unable to see the c:\Program Files\Essential Architecture Manager directory. When I try to re-install, it says the directory is there. When I come in through Windows Explorer, even after "un-hiding" files, the directory is not there. Refreshing, rebooting, and re-installation did not help.

I am guessing it is a Windows configuration issue. Has anyone had this problem? And how did you get past it? Any suggestions?
jonathan.carter

The installation deploys things to a number of folders.
  • The Protege plugins folder, that you will find in C:\Program Files\Protege_3.4.1
  • The Tomcat webapps folder, that you will find in C:\Program Files\apache-tomcat-<version X>
  • The baseline, empty repository for Essential Architecture Manager, which is installed as a set of Protege project files, in the folder of your choice. Additionally, any log of the installation and the un-installer are deployed here.
In the installer, this last item is deployed to a folder that always defaults to <The Default Application Root Folder>/EssentialAM. So on Windows, this will be C:\Program Files\EssentialAM. The installer will always suggest that folder for installation of the repository etc. but you are free to choose any other folder.
The un-installer knows which folder you chose but as it is deployed to this directory may not remove the empty folders once it has removed all the installed files. However, it is safe to do this manually once the un-install has completed.

This folder is not defined as being hidden, but obviously having it in C:\Program Files will mean that Windows will by default hide the actual folder.

Hope this helps - and perhaps it makes sense for the installer to use an alternative default location for the repository components?

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
david_chasteen

Thanks for the detailed and quick reply. I have followed up on each item. All is well except:

1. The installer defaults to c:\Program Files\Essential Architecture Manager" and appears to install successfully. When I try to access it via Protege "Other Projects" it does not see the directory. When I browse through Windows Explorer, the directory does not exist.

2. After setting my Windows Explorer options to see all types of hidden files, I still cannot see the directory.

3. When I re-install, the installer believes the directory already exists and asks to overwrite. Same results.

4. When I re-install and change the destination program files directory to c:\Program Files\Essential I get the same results.

5. The behavior I expect is as you describe and is normal on my PC for the many other software I have installed.

6. When I search for *.pprj files, I only see existing Protege ontologies.

7. The only evidence of the "installation" in the registry is from having run the manual installation. The entry being: java -jar essentialinstall.jar\1

8. Changed installation defaults from:
C:\Program Files/Protege_3.4.1 changed to C:\Program Files\Protege_3.4.1
C:\Program Files\Protege_3.4.1/examples/server to C:\Program Files\Protege_3.4.1\examples\server

9. Summary configuration was:
Chosen Installation Packs
Widgets Viewer Repository Server
Installation Path
C:\Program Files\Essential Architecture Manager
Installation Path
C:\Program Files\Essential Architecture Manager

9. Turned off all PC protections and finished re-install. No evidence of installation.

10. Restart PC. No evidence.

I believe this is a local PC issue. My next step is to try to install on my work PC. I will let you know the results and then try to debug at that point. Unless anyone has any other ideas, please wait for my next set of test results. Note the forward slash / backslash issue on 8 above however for the install.
jonathan.carter

Could it be an authentication issue?
The installer is setup to run in a privileged mode for Windows Vista.

Is it worth trying to install the repository files in an alternative location, e.g. C:\EssentialAM or something else outside 'Program Files'?

Everything should still run correctly no matter where the repository files are located.

The installer allows you to select any folder in which to create the Essential Architecture Manager folder.

Are the plugins being installed correctly in the Protege folder (also under C:\Program Files)? In C:\Program Files\Protege_3.4.1\plugins there should now be a folder called:

com.enterprise_architecture.essential.widgets

Hope this helps -

Jonathan
Essential Project Team