Installation issue usaing Protege 4 Beta

howarddodd

Hello,
Not sure if you support Protege 4. I'm having a couple of issues and before starting to hack should I just revert to Protege 3.3.1?
jonathan.carter

We don't support Protege 4, sorry.

In terms of reverting to Protege 3, I'd recommend going for Protege 3.4.1 - the latest version of Protege that supports Frames and which has a number of good bug fixes and improvements over 3.3.1.

As a bit of background, that's the issue (at the moment) with Protege 4 - all the documentation suggests that it only supports OWL editing, not Frames. We're keeping a close eye on how Protege 4 and WebProtege develop but at the moment, we only support Protege 3.

I would be very interested to hear about the things that you have been trying in order to get Essential to work in Protege 4, though. Do they involve trying to get a Frames-based ontology migrated to an OWL one? Or can you use Protege 4 in a Frames mode?

Thanks

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
howarddodd

Thanks for the response.
I did not get past install/startup. I'm actually getting osgi errors and Protege cant initialize the essential plugin. I dont have any specific reason to stay with Protege4 - so I'm reverting to version 3.4.1
Thanks
jonathan.carter

Thanks for this.
I've been looking into this a bit more and the plugins implementation is very different in Protege 4, using the OGSI framework which is where those errors are coming from.
Also, it seems a number of key features, such as Frames support, multi-user support and storing the repository in a database are missing from version 4.

If you're interested, this page provides a very useful side-by-side comparison of Protege 3.4 and Protege 4.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team