Report list not displaying in multi-user deployment

melbpar1

I have installed Essential both as stand-alone and multi-user.
In the stand alone version, when I click on a hyperlinked instance in any view, I can see a report menu from which I can select the report I want to navigate to in the next view (I.e. process summary view, process flow diagram, etc.)
In the multi-user version, that is not the case. When I click on a hyperlinked instance, no menu is displayed. It goes straight to a preset view without giving the user a choice.
Some users experience the problem, others don't. I have tested both with IE and Firefox .
jmk

melbpar1 wrote:I have installed Essential both as stand-alone and multi-user.
Some users experience the problem, others don't. I have tested both with IE and Firefox .
As this depends on users I would first clear the navigators cache between each attempt ...

Moreover, I think menu displays are driven by the reportXML.xml file.... I also suppose you have two installs of essential_viewer : one for each modeller installation (stand-alone/multi-user)..
  • => I would try to exchange the reportXML.xml files betwen the two installs
.. or else try just a diff between two uploads of the same model (one from the multi-user install and one from the stand-alone)

Hope this helps
melbpar1

Thanks for your help. I do have two installs one on Win XP and a second on Windows Server 208 R2.
I tried clearing the browser cache but that didn't work.
Then I replaced the reportXML in the server with the reportXML from the workstation install but had no success either. I am not sure what else to try at this stage.
jmk

melbpar1 wrote:Thanks for your help. I do have two installs one on Win XP and a second on Windows Server 208 R2.
First, beware that I never installed essential on a microsoft machine... Nevertheless I see at least four things you should try :)
melbpar1 wrote: I tried clearing the browser cache but that didn't work.
Then I replaced the reportXML in the server with the reportXML from the workstation install but had no success either. I am not sure what else to try at this stage.
Maybe windows machines have some means to make a (recursive) diff between files (à la diff -r under Gnu/Linux)
or else
use some source configuration management software (svn, git) in order to spot the diffs,
or else
I'd try to take the whole pack of xsl files from the workstation to the server
or else
I'll zip/unzip the whole webapp directory (maybe renaming the dir essential_viewer to something different) from one install to the other...
neil.walsh

Just a brief response on this....

Single vs Multi user will have no effect per se on Essential Viewer. However the context menu lists are repository driven therefore it requires a recent repository (i.e. a version 3 repository) in order to work.

Are your single user / multi-user repositories different?

You can always convert a single user repository to a multi user one at any point (or visa versa)

The menu management for the context menus can be found in the Repository under EA_Support > Essential Viewer > Menu Management

If you're not seeing this in the repository then you might be running an older version and need to upgrade. This is possible via the v3 Upgrade Pack available in the downloads section.

You can see which version of the Meta Model you're running by looking in the repository under About_Essential > Meta_Model_Version.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Neil