Convert baseline v3 to Database

aixsurfer

Hi, I've tried to convert essential_baseline_v3.0.4 to a Protege-Database-Backend. I always produce the failure "The driver was found but it is not possible to create a connection with the driver URL.
Perhaps the URL syntax is wrong or the username/password is invalid.Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server."
The convert of essential_baseline_v1.2 (without or with modifications) is always ok.

Any idea for this failure.
jonathan.carter

Thanks for your post.

I've just tried converting a file-based Baseline 3.0.4 repository to Protege Database on MySQL and it completed successfully.

Can you tell me more about which database you are using? From the error it looks like MYSQL?

Also, if you already have a Baseline 1.2 repository in your database (it will have its own table), are you attempting to re-use the repository (table) name?

Is the Baseline 1.2 repository converted into the same database instance?

I'm pretty sure that Protege drops the table before creating a new one as part of the conversion process, but if you are attempting to convert to the same repository (table) name, that could be causing a problem.

A quick search suggests that MySQL raises this if there was an invalid parameter passed to the JDBC driver - in our case from the Protege convert to database dialog. Could it be that you are using, e.g. a name for the 3.0.4 repository that contains a character that is not allowed by MySQL and therefore the driver cannot connect to the server?

However, perhaps you are not using MySQL. If you are using Oracle, the later (3.4.x) versions of Protege no longer support Oracle, largely due to the fact that Oracle does not distinguish between NULL and empty string.

As far as Protege (and also the database) is concerned our repository is just data and the different versions of the meta model shouldn't make any difference to either of Protege or the database.

Hope this helps but let me know some more about your install and we can take it from there.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
aixsurfer

Hi, tanks for your immediate reply. I'm with you the convert should result only in creating the new table essentialbaselineV3 and load the data from the flatfile. I'm using the same MySQL-DB Instance EssentialDB as for the V1.2-Convert. I have attached the printscreen of my Protege-client where you can see the connect information and the error message of the convert. There are no special character in the connect infos.
Kr.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonathan.carter

Everything looks OK in there. I assume that the username and password are correct ;)

One thought occurred to me, though.

Have you checked the Protege console window for any exception messages? On Windows platforms, this is the black command prompt window that appears when you start Protege.
It could be that because the 3.0.4 baseline is quite a bit larger than 1.2, that Protege is running out of memory.
If this is the case, go into the Protege properties and increase the maximum memory parameter.
For more information on that, see the Protege Wiki.

Have a look for any warnings or exception messages on the Protege console and let me know if you find anything

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
aixsurfer

Hi Jonathan, thanks, I raised the max memory and it works. But I have other troubles with my multi user installation. I will report it in an own record.
Kr.