Installation on Windows 7

asahgal

I am not able to open the .jar installation exe in Windows 7. Associating the file type to javaw.exe also does not seem to work. Please provide installation guidance
neil.walsh

Hi,

We might need a little more information to help.

Is the file located in a "user" directory e.g. Documents or Desktop?

Depending on your configuration, you may need to run as an administrator (you can right click on the file for this option in Windows 7)

Which Java runtime do you currently have installed?

Have you downloaded and installed the software pre-requisites?
http://www.enterprise-architecture.org/downloads

Cheers

Neil
neil.walsh

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that we are now able to replicate this issue and have a workaround which I'll post shortly. We'll continue to investigate the problem and update the install guide once we fully understand the correct approach for this.

Cheers

Neil
jonathan.carter

I have a couple more questions about your Windows 7 environment.

Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit installation?

Have you downloaded and installed the correct version of Java? (32 / 64bit)

If you have installed both versions of Java, check that all your Windows system variables such as JAVA_HOME are pointing to the correct version of Java. For example, trying to run 32-bit javaw.exe on 64-bit Windows 7 does not work and vice-versa.

Open a command prompt and type the following:

Code: Select all

java -version
What response do you get from Windows?

If this responds with a message describing the version of Java (and not an error message), try typing the following into the command prompt.

Code: Select all

javaw -jar essentialinstall3.jar
Ensuring that you first use 'cd' to move to the folder where you have downloaded 'essentialinstall3.jar'. Otherwise, include the full path to the installer file, e.g. javaw -jar "My Documents\essentialinstall3.jar"

Jonathan
Essential Project Team