Platform roadmap

imtpalmer

Does the team have a platform roadmap which outlines the technical capabilities that will be introduced and a timeline?

Regards,
Thomas
jonathan.carter

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for this. We do have a high-level roadmap for the both the platform and the meta model. We did not have any immediate plans to publish this yet, but if it's of interest, we'll bring that forward and get it on the main over the next few days.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
imtpalmer

Jonathan,

It would be very helpful to understand the what the planned enhancements to both the platform and the meta model. For example how will new elements of TOGAF 9 be incorporated into the current meta-model. Has the team considered including additional diagramming or visualization capability?

Regards,
Thomas
jonathan.carter

We've now published the Essential Roadmap and will maintain this page as the project develops.

It is important to note that this is not a plan and that we are keen that the needs of the Community drive the priorities for developing the Project.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
essentialkolja

Hi,

I already posted a question via the contact link on your site but I thought it would be good to post my question regarding the Essential Platform roadmap.

- Is a webinterface for editing metainformation to be developed any soon (to bypass Protege editor) ?

- Are you having contacts on the SAAS / hosting level to offer a Essential hosted instance ?

Thanks for your remarques or answers

Kolja van Horssen
sarah.smith

Hi Kolja,

We are definitely keen to provide facilities for web based access to the Essential Architecture Mnager. Fortunately, our good friends at Stanford University (developers of Protege) are developing Web Protégé, which we plan to use to provide this facility. At the moment it is only available as an alpha release and we are reluctant to start to build on it until it is in a stable release. There is no fixed date for when a stable version will be available, therefore we would prefer not to put this capability on The Essential Project Roadmap, but we will keep our eye on it and start work once it becomes available.

We have also discussed the possibility of providing the Essential Architecture Manager as a SAAS/hosted service, and it is certainly something we are happy to do once we have ported our components to Web Protege, and assessed demand from the community.

Sarah
(The Essential Project Team)
essentialkolja

Hello Sarah,

Thanks for your answer. Sound a good idea to use the Stanford version of Protégé. I'm looking forward how you're going to integrate their work in the Essential project. I found that Webprotégé was working rather fine. The projects on their demo site where all working fine (http://bmir-protege-dev1.stanford.edu/webprotege/). Did you already ask them to load a Essential repository (i.e. ecp3_sample_repository_v1.pprj) ? Good luck with the integration.

P.S. The SAAS open source stack offer would be great I think (MySQL, Essential / sample repository and Webprotégé). Looks like a good commercial deal for small and midsized companies who want to start an EA initiative. An AWS image would of the stack would be cool as well.

Regards,

Kolja van Horssen
sarah.smith

Hi Kolja,

No we haven’t asked them to load the Essential repository yet, as that would require them to install our plugins, and really we need to have our own version of Web Protégé running first, which we don’t want to do until it is in a stable version, but we’ll keep our eye on it. AWS is an excellent idea though, and we’ll definitely look at that when we do it.

Thanks for your input, it really is appreciated.

Sarah
(The Essential Project Team)