Essential Server RMI Issue

cmb5

Normally I am pretty good with these things,but I must have missed a step? I can't fire up the Essential server for multi-user on Windows Server 2003. No local firewall running. It fails with the following stack trace. What service is it trying to connect to? The Web app is deployed w/o a hitch.

-- Server.bindName()
SEVERE: server startup failed -- java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: 10.88.174.73
; nested exception is:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
jonathan.carter

Hi,

Can you check that the RMI Registry is running, please? That's the only connection that the server should be making during startup (before any clients attempt to connect to it).

This should be started for you in the run_protege_server.bat file but it could be that it has not started.

To check that it's running, have a look in the Task Manager for a process called RMIRegistry

Let me know how you get on

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
cmb5

The RMI registry seems to be the problem. I can't seem to get the run_protege_server.bat script to start the rmiserver process. I tried several variants of the bat file - even hard coding the path to rmiserver.exe and still it wouldn't run.

I ended up creating a seperate batch file to fire up the rmiserver that then calls the run_protege_server.bat script and I'm up and running.

Strange, but working.

Thanks
jonathan.carter

Glad to hear that you are up and running.

This is a strange one, though. I've run the Protege server very happily on Windows 2003 for some time, and I've not seen this. I'll keep looking into this, though.

Out of interest, how does the invocation of rmiregistry in your new batch file differ from that in the run_protege_server.bat? I'm wondering whether this is a path issue or that the RMIRegistry is not starting in time for when the Protege server tries to connect to it.

I have found a report of a problem starting RMIRegistry with a beta version of Protege 3.4, and it was down to the path to rmiregistry not being correct. In this case, the user had not installed the Java runtime that came with Protege, so it's possible that Java was installed somewhere that the run_protege_server.bat was not expecting.

Thanks

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
rcortez

Exactly the problem I had, where I installed Protoge without the JVM, as this project's docs state. So the first line of my run...server.bat file was updated to;
set JDKBIN="C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin"

The protoge site states this solution.

Also in this file this line looks wrong which simply opens a cmd window and doesn't start the rmi... process.
start /min %JDKBIN%\rmiregistry

Someone on the protoge site stated this change
start "rmiregistry" /min %JDKBIN%\rmiregistry

Both processes run as expected.

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl ... evision=10
jonathan.carter

Thanks for posting the solution to this.
I will update the installation guides to reflect this.

I would just point out that installing without a JVM is an option - for example where you do not wish to have multiple JVMs installed - and not a recommendation. However, I think it would be useful if we pointed, in the install guides - any issues that might be encountered by not using the bundled JVM.

Thanks again for your help

Jonathan
Essential Project Team