Matrix Organisation Modelling?

Gena

I need to model a matrix organisation, or something along that line.

I have the normal hierarchical organisation but we also have independent organisation forms established by IT, primarily a governance model (but also teams that are cross organisational).

I wonder what might be the best practice for this… Given time and resources I suppose one could expand the model but I would prefer a decent workaround, like having 1…n organisation structures or approaching at least governance a (kind of) business domain (would work here as we are a publi org not so focused on business domains).

However - any suggestions as to best practice for matrix organisations would be appreciated. (I tried to look in other fora but to no avail.)
jasonp

Hi Gena,

the meta-model already allows an organisation to have 1...n parent organisations which, in theory, would support a matrix structure. However, the challenge, as you suggested, is in how to differentiate between the two organisational dimensions, e.g. management org structure vs governance org structure. Do the governance orgs set up by IT have a hierarchy of their own, or do they have a flat structure? If flat, we do have the concept of Governance Body in the meta-model which could be mapped to your organisations (Group Actors) used as a more explicit separation of governance vs management.

Thanks,

Jason
Gena

Thanks,

Yes unfortunately the governance model is a hierarchic one, looking pretty much like a 2-level capability model. Problem is that this model "owns" the applications. I haven't really explored all the options yet, I was hoping that I could adopt another structure for this (app cap or something). Perhaps a parallell org structure - or simply a "dummy" branch.

But I really need to find a solution as this is central to how we manage our IT…

(I should add that the extra challenge from an EA perspective is that the model is more political than logical so it hurts to use it as a blueprint for the existing views.)

Regards,

*Perhaps this should have been in the modelling thread, put it here since I'm an OS user.