Error after upgrading Java

aschoijett

Hi,
I received a message that Oracle had a new Java version and I upgraded from what I had when installed Essential to
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_333\bin\server\jvm.dll

I managed to make Apache work with the new Java, but when starting Protege, I get the message "Windows error 2 occurred while loading the Java VM"

I assume that there is a step that I did not perform to make Protege use the new jvm but I don't know how to do that. Can you please help me?

Many thanks,

Alex

PS: I'm running the Open Source version (single user) using the Essential-provided version of Protege 3.5 on Windows 10.
aschoijett

Hi,
I' sorry for asking again, but I'm currently dead in the water.
Protege does not start after upgrading Java.
I tried to uninstall Protege to re-install it.
I get the same Windows error 2 because the Protege uninstaller uses Java
I tried to re-install Protege, but got the same Windows error 2 after re-installing.

Please help. I don't know what else to do.

Many thanks in advance,

Alex
jmk

Hi Alex,
maybe, you could try one of the workaround described here :

https://appuals.com/fix-windows-error-2 ... g-java-vm/

J.-M.
aschoijett

Hi,
For future reference, the problem was that for some reason, the file Protege.lax (C:\Program Files\Protege 3.5\Protege.lax) was modified for some reason.
Everything started to work again after I configured the parameter as shown below:

lax.nl.current.vm=C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.8.0_333\\bin\\java.exe

I hope this is useful to anyone who faces a similar problem.

Alex

PS: Thank you @jmk for the response. Although the recommendations in the article did not fix the issue, they helped me figure out where the problem was: although the OS "path" variable was set as shown above, the command window that launches Protege was showing something else.