Essential OS Deployment: Desktop + Server?

kenneth.carpenter

Hi,

Like AndyB last month, I am looking to understand the general architecture of Essential OS, so I can do an evaluation multi-user install.

Is there a configuration in which the Protege editor would be installed on each user's laptop, but the database and viewer live on a server? That is the architecture I've been attempting.

If not, are we saying that a multiuser deployment has to be some kind of remote desktop VM that each person signs into as a different desktop user?

In either case, does the viewer work more like a traditional website as far as making it accessible via browser to colleagues with no Protege installation or access?

Thanks in advance to anyone with guidance. And thanks to the authors for offering the core product as Open Source.

Regards,
Ken
jonathan.carter

Hi Ken,

There certainly is a configuration that supports what you are looking to do.
You can perform a Multi-User Install which provides you with:
  • A single database in which the repository is stored and managed
  • A single Viewer installation that can be accessed via a user's web browser
  • A server-based installation of Protege that will manage multiple Protege clients as they access the repository in parallel
  • An installation of Protege on the desktop of all users who will be browsing and updating the content of the repository
There's no need to install as a remote-desktop VM setup.

With the Viewer installed on a Java Application Server (e.g. Apache Tomcat) on your server host, any users who can access that server via their browser can access the Viewer. You could have multiple Viewer installations in that Tomcat to provide, e.g. different environments for different users.

This means that Viewer is exactly as you describe - a traditional website.

I think that this is slightly different to what you have been attempting. This documentation takes you through the process of installing and configuring your Multi User Install.

Best regards

Jonathan
Essential Project Team