V6.11.1 (Open Source) - Publish Model Error

klawry38

Hi Guys,
Have, this morning, downloaded & upgraded to v6.11.1. After the upgrade my natural instinct was to try to publish our existing model.....which is where I struck a few errors. On Protege I got:
Rendering repository...
Sending repository snapshot...
Checking for access...
Sending XML snapshot...
Failed to send snapshot to the Report Service :
Essential Viewer ReportService encountered an internal error while receiving your repository snapshot. Contact your system administrator and check Essential Viewer server logs for errors, e.g. memory exceptions.

From looking at the Tomcat console log (copy attached) there appears to be a number of things going on - none of which are obvious to me on how to rectify. The "reportXML.xml" generates however.

I did attempt browsing to the main menu page but get:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: file:/C:/mystuff/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer-6.11.1/reportXML.xml; lineNumber: 36855; columnNumber: 92; Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
Fatal Error: Error reported by XML parser; SystemID: file:/C:/mystuff/tomcat/webapps/essential_viewer-6.11.1/reportXML.xml; Line#: 36855; Column#: 92
Enable the Detailed Error Message filter to view more information about this error

Inspection of reportXML.xml has an apostrophe at that location which I could edit out but grammatical symbols are "strewn throughout" our model so that could be problematic. I guess my question is: is there an easy way to force a character encoding that will cope with those types of symbols.

Please let me know if there's anything you want me to do to assist in finding a cure.

Cheers
Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neil.walsh

Hi Keith,

Can I ask if you've tried a restart of Tomcat to fix this?

Cheers

Neil
klawry38

Hi Neil,
Tomcat has been restarted (several times) as I tried to work through the "challenge"....to no avail.
The environment I'm running is: Win 10; Tomcat 8.5.57; Jre AdoptOpenJDK 13.33. I've been running that for v6.10.4 with no apparent issues.
I've also tried reverting to JRE 1.8 - but I get the same results....

Not sure if that helps but please let me know what else I can try to rectify - thanks.

Cheers
Keith
neil.walsh

Hi Keith,

We've done a bunch of testing here with repositories with many special characters in multiple languages to see if we can replicate this but so far everything seems to be as expected.

Is it possible this is just a typo problem? The Viewer WAR file should be called "essential_viewer_611.war" whereas the in your comments you suggest the path is "essential_viewer-6.11.1". Note the underscores vs hyphens. The downloadable version on the website at the moment has underscores in the name. Perhaps the was a correction made by us in the download URL/file after you downloaded this?

Can you validate the URL you are publishing to and ensure it matches the name of the web app?

e.g. http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer-6.11.1 or http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer_611 as appropriate.

This kind of error would return the message you have said you're getting. (Failed to send snapshot to the Report Service)

Can you check and let me know?

Thanks

Neil
klawry38

Hi Neil,
Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. Here's where I've got to in terms of attempting to get a "clean publish" from Protege to Essential Viewer:
I have downloaded the .war file again (on the slim chance a weird corruption had occurred).
I changed the log4j settings to DEBUG on the vague hope it might give me a better hint at the root cause......
Restarted Tomcat - the .war file appears to have deployed correctly (to: http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer_6111)
Ran the Protege "publish repository" task
Got the same "failed to send snapshot to the Report Service" message.....

I've attached the essential-viewer.log in case debug mode gives you better hints (isn't for me - sorry).

My 6.10.4 installation is still merrily working with no errors which leans me towards thinking it's not an environment issue - unless, of course, there's a library lurking in the background that 6.10.4 is happy with but 6.11.1 isn't....

Anyhoo, looking for to a reply covering what my next steps need to be.

Cheers
Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neil.walsh

Hi Keith,

Thank you for sending the detailed logs, they have helped us identify a bug when using on Windows for which we have developed a fix. We're just progressing through testing and packing so hope to have this out tomorrow.

Thanks

Neil
neil.walsh

Hi Keith,

The update for this issue is now available to download. It's just the Viewer package (v6.11.2)

https://www.enterprise-architecture.org/os_download.php

Thanks for raising this. Let me know how you get on with this update.

Thanks

Neil
klawry38

Hi Neil,
Thanks for the update. Have downloaded and ran with no errors that I can see so it looks like you and the "Essential Elves" have cured the issue - thanks, very much appreciated.
I'll let you know if I find any more "challenges" but, for now, everything's good.
Thanks again.

Cheers
Keith