Multi User installation on Windows

Corne

Hi guys,

Hope you can help... I've sucessfully installed the product in a multi user mode using SQL 2005 as db server. (I know you haven't completed testing it, but I was hoping to help and I had a urgent need to install it in this environment).
When I connect to the server with the user I've created against the project, the save button is disabled.
I've created the two groups as per your installation instructions and have associated Write Operation against the groups. I also confirmed that I've associated the user to the group.
Have I perhaps missed a step in the installation, or is this one of the issues with having SQL 2005 as a db store?
Thanks in advance...
jonathan.carter

Hi.
If the step to convert your project to the database "backend" has completed successfully, it sounds like the bug with SQLServer 2005 has been fixed in Protege 3.4 (which is great news).

The Project Save button is always disabled when running in client-server mode. This is way Protege works and manages multiple concurrent users. Every change that you make to the repository is saved to the database as you go. So, the repository is always live. This is one of the reasons that we publish snapshots of the repository to the Essential Viewer reporting environment.

From what you've described it sounds like everything has installed correctly and is working as expected. If you close the client Protege and then re-open and re-connect to the server, all your edits will be there.

Please let us know how things go on SQLServer 2005 - it would be great if that is working now.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
Corne

Aaa, ok, I see...thanks for info!
I've just tested it and it is working as you've said.

Just a question on publishing the repository. You've mentioned that this is the reason you publish snapshots to the reporting environment?
How will you perform that action in the multi user environment as I don't see the "Essential Architecture Reporting" tab when in the client? (As you did with the stand alone install)
Thanks again!
jonathan.carter

You should be seeing the Essential Architecture Reporting tab in the client Protege.
The first thing to make sure is that you've followed the Client-side installation guide. You need to make sure that the Essential Widgets are deployed to all of the local client installations of Protege. The process for doing it is the same as when you installed the server.

If you have done that already, go to Help->About Plugins... in the client Protege and make sure that the "Essential Architecture Manager Report Tab" is showing in there. If it isn't, make sure that the Essential Widgets have been installed in the plugins folder on your client.

The server project specifies which tabs should be shown in the client when it connects. However, expect Protege not to show the Forms tab in the client (as you don't want multiple users all editing the user interface for the instances at the same time!)

Let me know if you're still not seeing the reporting tab

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
Corne

Appologies...my mistake. It seems I've copied only the folder name out of the zip file and not the contents. :oops:

I've tested it from two clients (both 64bit Vista laptops) and everything seems to be working fine. Will shout if we encounter any major problems.

Cheers