Essential Viewer Error

NGuison

Hi am new to this tool and my supervisor just asked me to figure out how to use this but I have encountered and error (as shown in the image). Can anyone help me and if possible make the explanation as easy as possible to understand. Thankyou!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonathan.carter

Hi,

Thanks for your post.
We're working on fix to an issue that is very like this.

Can you tell us some more about what you did before seeing this error?

For example, did you:

- Publish to Viewer from Protege
- Open Viewer in web browser?

Thanks

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
NGuison

Hi Jonathan,

Before the error I opened viewer from a web browser.
jan.mlynar

I have the same experience - it happens, when you try to upload model from import utility directly to viewer. There is a workaround - export the model to Protege and use Protege to push it to viewer.
NGuison

How do I push it to the viewer with protege?
jan.mlynar

Protege push to viewer.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NGuison

This is the only thing that shows up on my protege.
jan.mlynar

You have not installed widget for Protege - there is a package in downloads - https://essential-cdn.s3.eu-west-2.amaz ... rade66.jar this will bring you additional tabs in Protege.
NGuison

Can someone please guide me on how to install this? Thanks
NGuison

I dont know which one is the installer
jonathan.carter

The Widgets component of the Essential Open Source pack has an installer that will add a number of plugins to your Protege installation.

This includes things like the Essential Viewer Tab that is used to send a snapshot of your current repository to Essential Viewer, the Essential Update Tab which can be used for applying packs of meta model updates (EUPs) or instance updates (DUPs, e.g. from the Import Utility).

In section 2 of the Downloads page, download the Widgets Component (see screenshot below) and then double-click on the resulting JAR file to run it. I recommend taking the default set of installation options.

As a follow up to the original post, we have identified an issue with the latest version of the Essential Viewer tab. The issue only affects installations on Windows but we are in the process of creating a new release of the open source Import Utility and the Widgets installer mentioned above.

Jonathan

Screen shot of Downloads page on https://www.enterprise-architecture.org/os_download.php
Essential Project Team
NGuison

I have already downloaded it from the website. How do I run the installer?
jonathan.carter

The installer is a JAR file that you should NOT attempt to unpack. Make sure to stop your browser attempting to convert it to a ZIP file.

If your browser does convert it to a ZIP as part of the download, make sure to change the file suffix back to .jar.

First, make sure that Protege is not running.
Double click on the essentialinstallupgradenn.jar file to run the installer and follow the instructions in there and accept the default plugin options (all of them).
The installer will ask you to tell it where your Protege 3.5 installation is, use the "browse" button in the installer to find and select that folder, e.g. c:\Program Files\Protege_3.5.

Let the installer complete and then start Protege and load the example Essential project. You should now see the Essential Viewer Tab, Essential Update Tab etc.

We've now released the new version of the Essential Widgets pack which fixes the issue with publishing to Essential Viewer when running on Windows. Make sure that you download and use this latest version (6.7) from the Open Source Downloads page.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
NGuison

I am running into an error when I try to run the .jar file.
The error states :
"Error: Could not find or load main class"
and then it closes abruptly. I have restarted my laptop and also checked if the JRE is up to date, which it is. Does anyone know why this is happening?
jonathan.carter

Thanks for your post.

Just to confirm, you are getting this error when you double-click on "essentialinstallupgrade67.jar"?

This JAR file is a self-contained executable, so should always run. I've just re-tried it on a Windows environment and it starts and runs as expected.

In case there's been some corruption during your download, the size of this file should read 18,162KB when viewed in File Browser window. If you open the properties for this file, the size on the disk should be 18,599,936 bytes.

Or are you seeing this error reported by Protege when you attempt to load the default / your own Essential project?

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
NGuison

Hi I got to install the widget but the viewer is still not showing.
NGuison

Another screenshot when i opened essential_baseline_v6_7.pprj
jonathan.carter

Thanks very much for the screenshots.

I can see from these that the Widgets have not installed correctly. If they were, you should have tabs such as the Essential Viewer Tab, Essential Update Tab etc. in those screenshots.

If you haven't already, make sure to unzip the Essential Repository again and open the resulting project file - to make sure that the project file (essential_baseline_v6_7.pprj) that you tried hasn't been updated after failing to find the Essential Tabs.

Check the Protege console Window (the black command-line like window that is started as minimised when you start Protege) for any messages about the tabs. You will have to scroll back through a large number of lines about loading instances.

If all that seems to be in order, then it may be that the Widgets have not been installed to the correct location. When running the installer, you need to define the location of your Protege installation. You should browse to and select the Protege root folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\Protege_3.5

You can check to see that you Essential Widgets have been installed correctly by browsing your filesystem and looking at the Protege plugins folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\Protege_3.5\plugins. In here you should see (amongst others!):
  • com.enterprise_architecture.essential.widgets
  • com.enterprise_architecture.essential.integration.widgets
  • com.enterprise_architecture.essential.snapshot
  • com.enterprise_architecture.essential.update

If you don't see these folders in the Protege plugins folder, then you have installed them to the incorrect location. Re-run the installer and make sure to select your target Protege install, as described above. Make sure to exit Protege before starting the installer.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
NGuison

Hi, I have tried all solutions but still not working. I can see the widgets in the folder and I have unzipped the repositories but still no luck. Are there any other solutions?
JohnM

Hi,

One of the guys has created an OS install video, can you take a look, make sure you are doing as in the video and let us know at which point you are failing.

https://youtu.be/PvDGpadUQyA

Thanks
sylvia

JohnM wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:30 Hi,

One of the guys has created an OS install video, can you take a look, make sure you are doing as in the video and let us know at which point you are failing.

https://youtu.be/PvDGpadUQyA

Thanks
Hello John,
I followed the import utility as per the link below -
https://www.essentialproject.org/docs/i ... rt-utility
I followed the following steps -

Step 1- set up 'Target Environments'
Step2 - set up 'Data Sources'
Step 3 - Click on 'Test Import' and successfully imported Excel sheet as per Launchpad (https://enterprise-architecture.org/ess ... nchpad.php)
Step4 - I cannot see any changes in excel sheet in the Essential Viewer

Please guide if any steps are incorrect

Regards,
Sylvia
JohnM

A few things:
1) Can you see the data in Protege?
2) Have you published?
csiddabattula

jonathan.carter wrote: 31 Jan 2020, 14:54 Hi,

Thanks for your post.
We're working on fix to an issue that is very like this.

Can you tell us some more about what you did before seeing this error?

For example, did you:

- Publish to Viewer from Protege
- Open Viewer in web browser?

Thanks

Jonathan
Hi jonathan
Is there any update on this error,
As suggested When i try to publish from protege, I can see the data
How ever when i try to import and publish from excel iam getting error

Thanks
jonathan.carter

Hi,

It sounds like you are almost there, if you can perform the imports into Protege and publish to Viewer from Protege.

To do the publish from the Import Utility, you must make sure that you have configured your Target Environment with the correct details for your Viewer. This article describes how to do this and shows screenshots of the configuration, in the "Essential Viewer Details" section. Make sure to use the "Test Connection" button to make sure that you have got the correct Viewer URL and that your Import Utility can connect to it.
NOTE: you must complete this configuration for BOTH your Live Target and your Dev/UAT Target configuration.

The other thing to check is that the Import Utility has sufficient memory to perform the publish. Check its logs for any signs of an Out Of Memory exception. This article describes what the memory settings should be and how to change them.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
csiddabattula

Hi
I had all the steps properly created a QA environment and tested the connection no issues, But the moment i publish to test viewer site is throwing Error

Oops!

com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.

Enable the Detailed Error Message filter to view more information about this error.
For more information about how to resolve this error, visit Essential Viewer Error Messages articles.

Essential Viewer 6 Platform Information
Version: 6.7

Catalina logfile from essential Import app

INFO: CURRENT IMPORT ACTIVITY: LaunchPad Loader Test
Aug 17, 2020 10:50:08 PM edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.PropertyMapUtil getJavaClassObject
WARNING: Unable to load class: edu.stanford.smi.protegex.widget.graph.GraphPoint
Aug 17, 2020 10:50:08 PM edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.PropertyMapUtil getJavaClassObject
WARNING: Unable to load class: edu.stanford.smi.protegex.widget.graph.GraphPoint
jonathan.carter

Hi,

Thanks - we have seen this issue before with Viewer, for users who were running on Windows. Thanks for confirming the version of Essential Viewer that you are using.

This is not the latest version of the Viewer and an update to the Essential Import Utility is also required to completely resolve this issue, as the Import Utility can also publish to the Viewer.

The resolution requires an update to Import Utility and the Essential Widgets. Import Utility should be at least version 2.1.3 and the Widgets should be version 6.7.

If you have not yet upgraded to the latest versions of these components, please do so and try again.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team