performance improvement by RDM (Vmware)

Rajaraman

as per the advice from infra team since the essential solution is largely reads (1 administrator write) we have created an RDM disk for hosting the essential docker platform. Can you advise me the steps for moving the current installation to the new rdm ?
jonathan.carter

Hi,

Before we advise, can you provide some more information about your Essential Docker deployment?

Have you deployed the Docker container on the VMWare or is your host Linux machine running on the VMWare? What issues are you experiencing?

Support for the direct VMWare (and RDM) configuration is out of scope.

The pre-requisites for Essential Docker are a Linux host with a native Linux filesystem, suitably sized for your data and concurrent-user volumes but we’d be happy to discuss any performance issues you are experiencing.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
Rajaraman

jonathan.carter wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 12:58 Hi,

Before we advise, can you provide some more information about your Essential Docker deployment?

Have you deployed the Docker container on the VMWare or is your host Linux machine running on the VMWare? What issues are you experiencing?

[We have hosted Docker Container in a Linux VM which is running on VMWare Platform]

Support for the direct VMWare (and RDM) configuration is out of scope.

The pre-requisites for Essential Docker are a Linux host with a native Linux filesystem, suitably sized for your data and concurrent-user volumes but we’d be happy to discuss any performance issues you are experiencing.

Jonathan

Please find attached the time taken to show a business capability view from a browser.
Image sent to your email, for some reason i could not attach it here.

Total records in business capability - 4000+

Time taken Loading 261 ms
Scripting 26150 ms
Rendering 5219 ms
Painting 45 ms
System 382 ms

recorded using chrome - browser- developer tools performance tab.

The end user not accepting this much time it takes
neil.walsh

Hi Rajaraman,

Thanks for the detailed numbers, can you let me know which specific Business Capability view you're looking at as we have a few different ones.

My first thought is that 4000+ business capabilities sounds like quite a lot. We typically see several hundred capabilities and then lower levels become processes. Even large Industry reference models such as APQC are still measured in the hundreds. It's not inconceivable though if in practice you really have multiple capability models bundled together.

Let us know which View your looking at and we'll take a look.

Cheers

Neil
neil.walsh

Hi Rajaraman,

I can see from the screenshot you shared with us the View is called "abc/core_bl_bus_cap_list_as_table_" - is that correct? That means it's some kind of custom view?

When we have slower views, we do seek out opportunities to optimise the queries to help the perform more quickly though it's quite possible that a view can take 30 secs to load if there is a lot of data to process. This is especially true if you have many nested XSL loops in the code. Sometimes bringing the data in using simpler XSL queries and structuring it as JSON can allow opportunities to better performance.

The standard version of this View also brings in the business domains and all the connected business processes. Can you let me know how many processes you have in the repository as well? Can you expand a little on what customisations you have made. Does the out of the box version perform better?

Thanks

Neil
Rajaraman

neil.walsh wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 14:39 Hi Rajaraman,

Thanks for the detailed numbers, can you let me know which specific Business Capability view you're looking at as we have a few different ones.
My first thought is that 4000+ business capabilities sounds like quite a lot. We typically see several hundred capabilities and then lower levels become processes. Even large Industry reference models such as APQC are still measured in the hundreds. It's not inconceivable though if in practice you really have multiple capability models bundled together.
Yes we have like Business Capabilities hierarchically like this
Business Unit, Category, Sub Category Level1,Sub Category Level2 ,Sub Category Level3 ,Sub Category Level4

it is fine grained capabilities we are maintaining, hence the count is more.

Let us know which View your looking at and we'll take a look.
business/core_bl_bus_cap_list_as_table.xsl

we customized above view to show parent business capability additionally as a column and a custom column called region (a text).

Cheers

Neil
Rajaraman

neil.walsh wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 15:19 Hi Rajaraman,

I can see from the screenshot you shared with us the View is called "abc/core_bl_bus_cap_list_as_table_" - is that correct? That means it's some kind of custom view?

When we have slower views, we do seek out opportunities to optimise the queries to help the perform more quickly though it's quite possible that a view can take 30 secs to load if there is a lot of data to process. This is especially true if you have many nested XSL loops in the code. Sometimes bringing the data in using simpler XSL queries and structuring it as JSON can allow opportunities to better performance.

The standard version of this View also brings in the business domains and all the connected business processes. Can you let me know how many processes you have in the repository as well? Can you expand a little on what customisations you have made.
Does the out of the box version perform better?
the performance of both versions works same.

Thanks

Neil
JohnM

We've rewritten this to be JSON based, which improves performance, especially for large data sets. The attached should see better times. Please drop it in your user folder, point your report at it and let us know if that helps.

Caveats, it's been system tested but not fully UAT'd so any bugs then do let us know. We'll look to get it into our next release.

core_bl_bus_cap_list_as_table_v7.xsl.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rajaraman

Oops! Essential Viewer encountered an error with the request View Template XSL stylesheet

Failed to compile stylesheet. 1 error detected.

Fatal Error: No template exists named RenderModalReportContent; SystemID: file:/opt/tomcat-viewer/webapps/viewer_1/user/core_bl_bus_cap_list_as_table_v7.xsl; Line#: 77; Column#: 68

Enable the Detailed Error Message filter to view more information about this error.
This is the error i got
JohnM

Apologies, you get that if you aren't on the latest version.

If you comment out row 77
'<xsl:call-template name="RenderModalReportContent"><xsl:with-param name="essModalClassNames" select="$linkClasses"/></xsl:call-template>' it should then work. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll check with the developer for you.
Rajaraman

Thanks, this is a bit different but fast though. UX better no flickering.