Updating essential viewer problems

tfox

Hi,

I am new to Essential OS and trying to get to an instance up and running so that I can use the launchpad import utility. I have gotten an instance working at ver 6.2, and applied meta model updates in protege up to 6.5, then to 6.7. But when I drop the ver 6.7 essential_viewer.war file in the webapps directory it does not work (going to http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer/ gives a 404 error).

I also tried to follow the instructions in the launchpad v4 "step by step" where you download the essential_viewer files from git, and copy them over the essential_viewer folder in webapps, but this also breaks the viewer. Looking at the Catalina log, there are a bunch of Java errors whenever I attempt the updated WAR file.

When I drop the old viewer v6.2 war file back in, I get a the working, empty, essential viewer again with a non-functioning launchpad plus link. Can someone give me some tips on this, or is there is working war file I can get?

Thanks,
Tim Fox
neil.walsh

Hi Tim,

The application name used in the browser (e.g. essential_viewer in http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer) is based on the name of the WAR file itself.

If you download the latest 6.7 WAR file from our site on this page https://www.enterprise-architecture.org/os_download.php you will see the file is called essential_viewer_67.war

If you drop this WAR with the that name into Tomcat, the resulting URL would be http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer_67

Here's a direct link to the 6.7 WAR file
https://essential-cdn.s3.eu-west-2.amaz ... wer_67.war

If you have downloaded the ZIP source from Github as mentioned in the Launchpad, you must unzip the contents and copy the resulting folder to Tomcat. Simply renaming the zip here does not create a valid WAR file.

We use a different WAR file name for each release to allow users to run and test new releases concurrently with the previous ones. You can simply rename the WAR and/or folder once you're happy.

If you've already done or understood the above steps and you're still having issues, then please post the error from the catalina.out log file from Tomcat and we'll take a look.

Cheers

Neil
tfox

I still get errors in Tomcat loading the WAR file. I am running Java SE Runtime Environment (build 13.0.1+9). Here is what I get in the Catalina.out file:

08-Nov-2019 12:50:42.092 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR Deploying web application archive [/usr/local/Cellar/tomcat/9.0.27/libexec/webapps/essential_viewer_67.war]
08-Nov-2019 12:50:46.101 SEVERE [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR Error deploying web application archive [/usr/local/Cellar/tomcat/9.0.27/libexec/webapps/essential_viewer_67.war]
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Error starting child
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:720)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:690)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:705)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:978)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployWar.run(HostConfig.java:1849)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.InlineExecutorService.execute(InlineExecutorService.java:75)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.AbstractExecutorService.submit(AbstractExecutorService.java:118)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:773)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:427)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1576)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:309)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:123)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setStateInternal(LifecycleBase.java:423)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setState(LifecycleBase.java:366)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:936)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startInternal(StandardHost.java:841)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:183)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1384)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1374)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.InlineExecutorService.execute(InlineExecutorService.java:75)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.AbstractExecutorService.submit(AbstractExecutorService.java:140)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:909)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal(StandardEngine.java:262)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal(StandardService.java:421)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.startInternal(StandardServer.java:930)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:633)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:567)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:344)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:475)
Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/essential_viewer_67]]
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.handleSubClassException(LifecycleBase.java:440)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:198)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:717)
... 37 more
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/bind/JAXBException
at java.base/java.lang.Class.getDeclaredFields0(Native Method)
at java.base/java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredFields(Class.java:3062)
at java.base/java.lang.Class.getDeclaredFields(Class.java:2249)
at org.apache.catalina.util.Introspection.getDeclaredFields(Introspection.java:110)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.WebAnnotationSet.loadFieldsAnnotation(WebAnnotationSet.java:269)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.WebAnnotationSet.loadApplicationServletAnnotations(WebAnnotationSet.java:137)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.WebAnnotationSet.loadApplicationAnnotations(WebAnnotationSet.java:69)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.applicationAnnotationsConfig(ContextConfig.java:330)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.configureStart(ContextConfig.java:777)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:301)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:123)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5051)
... 38 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.xml.bind.JAXBException
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1365)
at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.loadClass(WebappClassLoaderBase.java:1188)
... 51 more
08-Nov-2019 12:50:46.109 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR Deployment of web application archive [/usr/local/Cellar/tomcat/9.0.27/libexec/webapps/essential_viewer_67.war] has finished in [4,017] ms
neil.walsh

Thanks for posting back.

I suspect the issue may be related to the version of Java you are running. Java 13 was only released about 8 weeks ago and we haven’t tested against that version.

Java 8 is the current recommended version and has long term support from Oracle. It is a mainstream version which is supported until 2025. The next LTS version we will support will be 11. Oracles recent change mean they do however release non-LTS versions every six months now hence your version 13.

I’d suggest installing Java 8 either alongside your v13 or instead of if you prefer.

We’ll look into compatibility with v13 however we will always opt for mainstream LTS version support as a priority which better aligns with most enterprise needs.

Do update us on your progress. We really welcome the feedback and we’ll certainly look into the compatibility issues you’ve identified.

Cheers

Neil
tfox

That seemed to fix my issues. I removed Java 13 and got 8 installed. Now it seems to load OK. Thanks for the help!

Tim Fox
neil.walsh

That’s great to hear
Thanks for letting us know