Slow performance using the viewer

Beernink

Hi. What possible reasons why my Essential project takes ages to load using the viewer via the browser?

I'm a Noob when it comes to the Essential Open Source EA tool but managed to do the standalone install on my Unbuntu VM server that is running in our work Dev environment (no Internet connection), and have started creating a POC project using Protege and have published this to Tomcat. When I link to it using localhost:8080/essential_viewer, it takes a long time to load and to open the various pages.

Note that I've increased the RAM allocation for Protege by setting the java.heap.size to 800000000, and have 8Gb available on my VM.

Many thanks
Ron
Wellington, NZ
neil.walsh

Hi,

The mostly like cause of this will be the outbound callback from Essential Viewer to the version update checker service. Viewer makes a call to see if there is a later version available and displays a notification in the footer of the Viewer application. You can disable this by commenting out or removing the code for this in file common/core_footer.xsl.

If your environment has no outbound internet connection then it will hang whilst checking this until the connection times-out.

If you take a looks at the file at around line 88, you will see the code below. Delete or remove the code as you wish.

Let me know if this solves the issue for you

Cheers

Neil

Code: Select all

<!--Essential Update Check - Comment out the line below to stop checking for updates-->
	<script>
		$(document).ready(function(){
			var viewerCurrentVersion =  $('#currentViewerVersion').val();
			var viewerLatestVersion =  $('#viewerLatestVersion').val();
			if (viewerCurrentVersion &lt; viewerLatestVersion) {
				$('#viewerUpdateText').html(' - <a href="https://www.enterprise-architecture.org/essential_update.php?viewerCurrentVersion='+viewerCurrentVersion+'&amp;viewerLatestVersion='+viewerLatestVersion+'" target="_blank">Update Available</a>');
			};
		});
	</script>
<!--Essential Update Check End-->
colinfrewen

Hi Neil,

I am having the same problem and had already edited out the version checker. I am on a corporate network but over the past 10 years I have never had a waiting (TTFB) of 56s. It is obviously a timeout of sorts but cannot find it anywhere. I'm assuming there is an administration setting someone on my PC as the viewer flies on my home pc. Setup is
Local Machine: Localhost:8080
One user

any ideas?

Colin
colinfrewen

Hi Neil,

#Solved#

Need to comment out the line

<!--<xsl:variable name="updateFile" select="document('https://s3.amazonaws.com/essential-upda ... ersion.xml')"/>-->

and create a local version of the xml file

<xsl:variable name="updateFile" select="document('../viewerLatestVersion.xml')"/>

Regards
Colin
Beernink

Hi Colin, I'm getting the "Oops.." error so need to check on your instructions
  • where you say to comment out the original "xsl:variable name="updateFile.." line, I assume that this should be replaced with a same line that points at the local "../viewerLatestVersion.xml" file?
  • where should that local viewerLatestVersion.xml file be stored, and what should be its content?
Thanks
Ron
neil.walsh

I can answer this but unfortunately I’m away from my machine for a couple of days. I’ll try and post ASAP.

On a wider note, we’ll review the implementation of this feature to minimise impact in a future release.

I’ll update soon

Neil
colinfrewen

Hi

I created the xml file in my root folder but I would suggest you put it in the user folder, which I do for all our custom reports. Mine is working fine so I assume that it is not finding the file in your case and you need to fix the link.
viewerlatestversion.png
Regards
Colin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beernink

neil.walsh wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:37 I can answer this but unfortunately I’m away from my machine for a couple of days. I’ll try and post ASAP.

On a wider note, we’ll review the implementation of this feature to minimise impact in a future release.

I’ll update soon

Neil
Thanks Neil. I really appreciate your quick responses / help with this. And yes, good if a future release can allow something like a simple setting to enable the application to run 'off line'.
Beernink

colinfrewen wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 01:26 Hi

I created the xml file in my root folder but I would suggest you put it in the user folder, which I do for all our custom reports. Mine is working fine so I assume that it is not finding the file in your case and you need to fix the link.

viewerlatestversion.png

Regards
Colin
Thanks for your suggestion as well, Colin. I did create a viewerLatestVersion.xml file with the following content in my root folder but no luck.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<viewerversion>6.5</viewerversion>
Interested in what content you used for that file? Any chance of making that file and the modified core_footer.xsl file available via Google drive or similar? Much appreciated. Ron
neil.walsh

All,

I've attached an updated core_footer.xsl file which disables the version check feature. We'll look to handle this better in a future release.

If you prefer to makes the changes manually you can make the following updates to the core_footer.xsl file yourself.

Comment out the following lines
Lines 7 & 8

<xsl:variable name="updateFile" select="document('https://s3.amazonaws.com/essential-updater/viewerLatestVersion.xml')"/>
	<xsl:variable name="latestViewerVersion" select="$updateFile//ess:viewerversion"/>
Line 85

<xsl:attribute name="value" select="$latestViewerVersion"/>
Lines 89 - 97

<script>
	$(document).ready(function(){
		var viewerCurrentVersion =  $('#currentViewerVersion').val();
		var viewerLatestVersion =  $('#viewerLatestVersion').val();
		if (viewerCurrentVersion &lt; viewerLatestVersion) {
			$('#viewerUpdateText').html(' - <a href="https://www.enterprise-architecture.org/essential_update.php?viewerCurrentVersion='+viewerCurrentVersion+'&amp;viewerLatestVersion='+viewerLatestVersion+'" target="_blank">Update Available</a>');
		};
	});
</script>
Cheers

Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beernink

Running beautifully now. Many thanks for your help, Neil. Really appreciated.
neil.walsh

Thanks. Really appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Cheers

Neil
colinfrewen

Ni Neil,

Definately still an issue when behind firewalls.

Regards
Colin