Protege - cannot save query

starea1

In Query tab, when creating one query and saving(Add to Query Library) , a new query appears in library browser.
After closing and reopening the Protege , query is not there. Windows 10, java 64 bit. Working in multi user mode.

Any suggestions?

Alex
jonathan.carter

Hi,

When you use the "Add to Query Library" button, you must give the Query that you have built a name in the "Query Name" box. This then saves the Query that you've defined in the panel above this under that name.

The saved queries are stored in the Protege Project file (the .PPRJ) - regardless of the backend that you are using for Protege (files, XML, Database, etc.)

For this to persist between projects that you have opened in Protege, you must save the Project (File -> Save Project) to make sure that your new query is written to the PPRJ file.

In multi-user mode, this can be a problem as operations on the project itself are often 'protected' by the Protege server but I note that you mention that your query _is_ being saved. It could be that this is preserved because it has been persisted to the server's memory - the server has not been restarted yet - so be prepared for that if you have yet to shutdown/restart your server.

However, running in stand-alone mode, you should be able to write to your PPRJ file. When you save the project, all the classes and instances that you have defined should be saved, along with your new queries.

If that is not happening, it suggests that Protege may be having difficulty in writing to your local workstation. Make sure that your Protege project files are located in a folder to which you have write access (e.g. a folder underneath \Documents).

More information about the cause of the problem is likely to be reported on the Protege Console window (the black 'terminal' style window that opens alongside Protege itself). You should see many entries in that window about opening the repository and the number of instances. Any exceptions or issues that Protege encounters are also reported to this window.

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
starea1

Hi Jonathan,
thank you for swift response.
As i am "saving" query in multi user mode there is no error messages in console window.

Maybe it is long shot, but it can be related - if i am trying to configure the project (menu Project>Configure.../options tab) if i make changes in options, after restarting the Protege changes are not preserved. - can it b write/modify rights in Protege server?
Options.png
How i can verify that?

/Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jonathan.carter

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update. I think the scenario is a bit clearer to me now.

When Protege is running in multi-user mode - running Protege server and you access it in client/server mode - changes to the content of the repository are saved (instances, classes) BUT changes to the Project configuration are not. Indeed, some menus are disabled when running in client/server mode, for example the Forms tab is not available in this mode.

What this means is that in order to do things like:
  • Save queries for the Query Tab
  • Make form layout / labelling changes
you need to:
  • Stop the Protege server
  • On the physical server that Protege server is hosted, start Protege client and open the project file (.PPRJ)
  • Make the changes that you want to persist, e.g. save a new query, make some form layout updates
  • Save the project and quit Protege client
  • Restart the Protege server
Just to let you know that In Essential Cloud, we’ve resolved these kinds of ‘shortcomings’ with using Protege in a multi-user mode

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
starea1

HI Jonathan,
thank you for clarifying this issue - i will use Protetge on server in case i need to change settings or create queries.

Best regards!
Alex