Eseential Viewer not working

MaropengM

I "newbie" am getting the following error when attempting to publish the default project "essential_baseline_6.5.4.pprj":
"Essential Viewer ReportService could not be found at this URL"
I have deployed the Essential Viewer on Tomcat 9 at port 8080 and Essential Import Utility on port 9080.
I also came across an article that indicated the this tab "Essential Architecture Reporting" is required but it was not part of the installation guidelines - if I could know how to install/activate it.
I am on Essential Architecture Open Source. I have also set the memory according to the installation guidelines. I have also requested the Launchpad access/assistance.
:? :? :?
jonathan.carter

Hi,

If you are attempting to publish to the Viewer, then you have the required components installed within your Protege. The publishing tab is failing to find the Viewer at the URL showing in the “Essential Viewer” address on the tab.

When the Tomcat (port 8080) is not running, the publishing tab will show the following:

Code: Select all

Rendering repository...
Sending repository snapshot...
Checking for access...
Exception encountered during send
Failed to send snapshot to the Report Service : 
No response from the Report Service at this URL.
However, you are seeing "Essential Viewer ReportService could not be found at this URL”, which suggests that Tomcat is running but that the specified Viewer cannot be found deployed in that Tomcat.

When Tomcat (port 8080) is running but that the Viewer cannot be found at the URL, the publishing tab will show the following:

Rendering repository...
Sending repository snapshot...
Checking for access...
Sending XML snapshot...
Failed to send snapshot to the Report Service : 
Essential Viewer ReportService could not be found at this URL.
You are seeing the second case, which means that the publishing tab can see your Tomcat but that either:

a) The Essential Viewer address in the “Essential Viewer Tab” is incorrect.

b) The Viewer web application has not been deployed to Tomcat on port 8080

If you’ve installed everything, out-of-the-box, the URL in the Essential Viewer Tab should read:

http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer
The “essential_viewer” component of this URL must match the name of the Essential Viewer web application that is deployed in Tomcat. Check that this is the case

With the URL matching the name of the deployed Essential Viewer web application, this suggests that the Viewer web application has not been successfully deployed to Tomcat.

We can test this quickly, by opening a web browser and entering the above URL into the browser (http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer). If the Viewer is correctly deployed, you will see the Viewer homepage. If not, then the publishing issue is a deployment problem for the Viewer.

To confirm that Viewer has deployed successfully, browse your filesystem to <TOMCAT-INSTALL>/webapps and check that:

a) The file ‘essential_viewer.war’ is present in this folder
b) A folder called ‘essential_viewer’ is present in the webapps folder.

If you can see the file ‘essential_viewer.war’ but not the folder, then Tomcat has failed to deploy the web application. Try restarting Tomcat and it should then deploy the WAR file as part of its startup process.

Let us know how you get on with these

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
jonathan.carter

Hi,

We looked further into this problem and have identified that the Essential Viewer WAR file on our website was corrupt.

We've re-built this and a new version of the 'essential_viewer-6.5.4.war' file is now available to download.

Remove the old version of 'essential_viewer-6.5.4.war' from your <TOMCAT>/webapps folder.

Please download this new version and move it into <TOMCAT>/webapps.

You can test that is has deployed successfully, using by visiting http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer-6.5.4

Assuming that this is working correctly, you can then simplify this URL by copying the 'essential_viewer-6.5.4.war' file to <TOMCAT>/webapps/essential_viewer.war.
You will then be able to access Viewer via http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer

Jonathan
Essential Project Team
MaropengM

Thanks a lot, it is now working:
1) I downloaded the war file: essential_viewer-6.5.5
2) Renamed it to "essential_viewer.war" - it was after I deployed it as-is and I still had the problem
3) Deployed and tested from both Tomcat & Protege
jonathan.carter

That's great - thanks for the update.

Just in case it's not clear:
In the Essential Viewer Tab in Protege, the URL that you specify is the name of the WAR file.
So, if the Viewer file is essential_viewer-6.5.5.war, then the URL would be:

http://localhost:8080/essential_viewer-6.5.5

and this would also be the URL to use in your browser to explore Essential Viewer

Jonathan
Essential Project Team