Protege jumps out of instance

starea1

Hi, in multi user environment, when creating a new instance causes for other users shift in instance browser. Example: if i am creating a new Business capability, everyone who is in BusCap instance browser get jumpout of their editor data instance.
This is resulting in that users are suddenly editing another instance, and if they do not realize that, ending in false data entry.
Seems like update of instance browser is too fast (2-3 sec) and it is causing the shift. I have tried all options in Protege, but no luck. Any idea?

Thank in advance!
Alex
neil.walsh

Hi Alex,

That's not a scenario we've heard of before.

Can you provide some technical details on your install. Specifically, the version of all the components you''re using and which DB you're using as a backend.

Thanks

Neil
starea1

Hi, components are as recommended in multi-user installation,with Microsoft SQL database. I am including video showing jumps in structure. Please ignore mouse clicks, they are out of sync..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starea1

Forgot to mention that video is created under the time i am importing excel sheet in import utility, but, it is same as some other user is creating the new Business capability..
starea1

Hi Neal,
any idea why is this happening? Do you need more information to help resolve this issue?

Best regards
Alex
neil.walsh

Hi Alex,

Apologies for the delay, this was somewhat of a mystery for us.

What we think is happening is that you are all connecting your local Protege installs directly to the database rather than connecting to Protege Server (which in turn connects to the DB backend). This has the effect of everyone sharing the same User and in turn causes the effect you are experiencing.

When you open Protege, you should be clicking the following File > Open > Server
You enter the hostname for the Protege Server and add your credentials to connect.

Are you doing this or all opening a file?

It seems like you have progressed someway through the install guide but perhaps missed some steps. Of course you will also need to make sure every user has their own account to prevent the scenario you're seeing.

https://enterprise-architecture.org/doc ... r_install/

Does this sounds like it might be possible for you?

Cheers

Neil
starea1

Hi Neal,
this is login window i am using (and all other users)
Login.png
All users have unique usernames.

I will take look in installation guide again and verify that all steps are done.
Will be back!

Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starea1

Hi Neal,
after two weeks of the investigation, verification and tears here is a few thoughts:

As we are using the "Instances" tab, we noticed that instance browser list is automatically sorting alphabetically and as result of that, when new instance is created the jump occurs - no matter what we do.
Instances_tab.PNG
If we are using the "Instance browser" tab the jumps do not happens, and the tree is not sorted automatically
Instances_browser_tab.PNG
Here are additional settings screenshots - maybe there is something we are missing to see..
Preferences_general.PNG
Preferences_protege_laxl.PNG
Preferences_protege_propertiesl.PNG
starea1

Project_tab_options.PNG
Project_tab_widgets.PNG
Preferences_general.PNG
starea1

Anyone?
colinfrewen

Hi, for what it is worth.

We experienced the same behavior on the Application_Provider, Business _Capability and a few others where there were multiple relationships. This was a few years back and we threw a lot of resource at it as we had 10 users across a business capability model for a $80 billion retailer with 16 brands.

We were running server based (local prod) and server based (azure test) and we tried the following:

1) 4gb memory in server per user, allocated 2gb per user for Java. (didn't work)
2) Reduced Capability model down to below 1000 instances. (didn't work consistently)
3) Removed some of the dependent relationships (didn't work)

In the end we created a checkin checkout model with one person working in a (significant class) at a time. NOTE: The best way we found to sort this was too create our key data sets in excel. We then create a heavily modified import spec that allowed us to create the capability etc trees in excel (to test) we then over made modifications in excel and modified through upload always with the same key linkages.

Business Capability, Application Capability, Business Objective, Group Actor, Application Provider (Capability usage location was critical too us so we used if scripts to test these.

We still follow this process for Capability information along with a few others. We run Power BI to test data completeness.

Regards
Colin
starea1

Hi Colin, thank you for reply.
It is interesting that nobody other noticed this problem earlier - except you and me.. I assume, if people are using multi-user environment, that this will be noticeable directly from the start - or that there is some kind of solution/workaround for that (as you mentioned), but there is no older posts about this issue.

As i mentioned, the problem lays in Protege client, where auto-sorting is enabled in "Instance tab/Instance browser" component, but not in "Instance Tree" tab. I tried to test with earlier/later versions of Protege client, but no luck - none of the other versions (3.x-4.x) works with Essential. Hence, i will continue to use "Instance tree" tab instead of "Instances" tab.

Maybe is possible to find source code for "Instances" tab and try to change auto-sorting and see if that will fix the problem.

Thanks again

Best regards
Alex